Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this normal

Hi all
    one of my rellies ( Kitty Sowter ) married in 1894 she married a William Bullers Barker from what the records say but in the 1901 census they are just using the Bullers part of the name I assume from this that that is all he has ever used in all census if that is the case why use it the once for a marriage

Laura

maybe he was adopted used his real name for marriage and used adopted all the time,if thats the case then easy for ancestry research,brenda x

Comment

It is possible that he was born as William Bullers and his mother subsequently married a Mr. Barker.

Have you traced him back through the census?
      Elaine

Comment

Do you have the 1901 census reference?
        Elaine

Comment

hi
          Rg13 piece 3204 folio 28 page 2

Have found him in the 1871 census maybe his mothers name was barker as it looks like a second marriage at the mo then again it could be eldest daughters son

Laura

Comment

I have one like that....
            Lewis Benjamin Butterworth Liddell. After he married, he dropped the Liddell. Had us really confused for a while, but as we went back, we found that his father had been illigitimate...Liddell was his grandmother's maiden name and Butterworth was his grandfather's name. Mary went on to marry Louis Butterworth, but their son remained a Liddell. When this son married all 10 of his children (Liddells) had the middle name of Butterworth. However after marriage, Lewis must have decided that in fact he was a Butterworth and dropped the Liddell and all his children were registered as Butterworths.

Comment

Do you have his marriage certificate - if so what was the name and occupation of father.
              Elaine

Comment

Interestingly, there is a William Bullers Barker in 1901, son of a John and Mary, b 1900.
                Last edited by Joy Dean; 13-01-08, 11:40.
                Joy

Comment

HI
                  Have now found the family in 1881 under barker Johnis now the grandson mother is named as eldest daughter along with some others
                  but there is no william instead there is a george w same date

Laura
                  Last edited by Laura the Explorer; 13-01-08, 11:45.

Comment

there is a marriage for Emma to a John Barker in 1878 Q4 in Derby so why not used Barker as they where married

Laura

Comment

If he is Emma's son then we was born as William Bullers. He may have adopted the use of the Barker name while living with his parent, but he chose to get married under his birth name of Bullers.
                      Elaine

Comment

On a similar vein I have someone who was known by a different surname (as it was easier to pronounce apparently) he used his real name on registration ie. children's births, marriage etc. but used the name he was known by for the whole family on census returns. Maybe 'legal' documentation was seen as more important than the census.

The management does not accept responsibility for any sensible comments that may accidentally appear in this posting. Occurrences are incidental and not based upon actual intelligence .......

Comment

I believe that in some cases the bride and groom showed their birth or baptism certificates at their wedding, and so the name they married under would be the name on the earlier certificate in that case, even if it wasn't the name they were known by. If his parents weren't married when he was born, then he may well have used either or both surnames as and when he (or his parents) liked.
                          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                          X