• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where can I

find out about the Pesani family... in tuscany

this is the 1881 ref

Class: RG11; Piece: 3373; Folio: 32; Page: 39

mistrans as PESANE

can anyone help, please, possibly find out any more info?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

oh, lol.. I have found them in 1891 now

Class: RG12; Piece: 2711; Folio 26; Page 24
    Julie

Comment

and 1871

:(

Class: RG10; Piece: 3502; Folio: 121; Page: 2;
      Julie

Comment

Unless you can find out where in Tuscany, you're not going to get anywhere - Italian research is worse than Irish. There are a few links in the Wiki to explain it.

What makes you think they come from Tuscany, though? It doesn't say so on that census.

Comment

Just seen the 1871, sorry. The husband's original name would probably have been Federico Pesani.

You could try the TNA site for naturalisation papers, but there are very few on there.
          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 12-01-08, 23:06.

Comment

Not on the 1881 it doesnt but it does on the 1871, italy, tuscany

not much help though I suppose?
            Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
              Just seen the 1871, sorry. The husband's original name would have been Federico Pesani.

You could try the TNA for naturalisation papers, but there are very few on there.

is ok Mary, appreciate the help,

how do I search TNA, I'm hopeless with it
              Julie

Comment

Just tried the Italian surnames distribution site, and Pesani is very uncommon, whereas Pisani is very common:

- L'Italia dei Cognomi

Comment

Well for a start Julie you will need to wait until the site is up and running again. There is a run time error on it tonight!
                  Elaine

Comment

how do I search TNA, I'm hopeless with it
                    I just search it the same as I would google, usually, starting here:

Search the archives | Search the archives

That search page doesn't seem to be working at the moment, which is a pity, because it covers the whole site, including A2A.

I've tried a few variations on the name on this page:

Search the catalogue

but I don't think it searches the whole site.

Comment

Hang about - if you search the catalogue (second link above), there are some hits for Frederick Pisani.

Too early to be your man, though, and this Frederick sounds more like a diplomat or a spy than a plasterer, judging by the titles of the documents.
                      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 12-01-08, 23:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                        Hang about - if you search the catalogue (second link above), there are some hits for Frederick Pisani.
                        all I get mary is alot of errors on that page, and I can see the html code
                        Julie

Comment

That's odd, it's working for me. Anyway it's not your man - I edited my earlier post before you replied.

The one referred to on TNA is clearly the Frederick Pisani whose letters are quoted on this site:

who can't be your man in view of the dates, and presumably the occupation.

Comment

There are 3 hits on Genes for Frederick Pesani; I don't think anyone can have got any further back, because if you search for Pesani Italy with no Christian name there are no other hits.

I'm pretty sure the Italian name would be Pisani, and the English enumerator spelled it wrong - it's pronounced Pea-ZAH-nee.

Comment

There are also one or two hits on Genes for people called Pisani from Italy, including two from Palmata, Tuscany. No Frederick, but it might be worth bearing in mind, because people from the same village tended to emigrate to the same country.
                              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 12-01-08, 23:37.

Comment

hmmm

I guess I need to find out when they came to uk?

I cant see them on any census before 1871 so that might help?
                                Julie

Comment

It'd be a start, although Italians rarely seem to give the name of the town on censuses.

I've found very few naturalisation papers on TNA - most people from European countries just didn't bother to get naturalised, and there are no shipping lists from Europe as far as I know.

Do you have a marriage cert for Frederick and Harriet?

Comment

no Mary,

no cert :( double poo
                                    Julie

Comment

HI Julie

Are you aware the John H Pesani bn circa 1866 had the middle name of HUNT does that fit in anywhere?

Have you found that Harriet 'Pesani' remarried in Dec 1891 in Chesterfield to a Mr Gary Rhodes and that her son John Hunt 'Pesani' married the same quarter to Grace Slater?

I am still looking for a marriage for the two consenting adults for you.
                                      WendyP

Comment

Originally posted by WendyP View Post
                                        HI Julie

Are you aware the John H Pesani bn circa 1866 had the middle name of HUNT does that fit in anywhere?

Have you found that Harriet 'Pesani' remarried in Dec 1891 in Chesterfield to a Mr Gary Rhodes and that her son John Hunt 'Pesani' married the same quarter to Grace Slater?

I am still looking for a marriage for the two consenting adults for you.
                                        Hi Wendy,

That Just might be a Clue!! the Hunt bit...

Just had a quick look and found this

Harriett HUNT b. 1840 ish COLLINGHAM on the 1861 cens
                                        occ dressmaker

So if that IS her then the marriage would have taken place bet 1861-1871.

ref for 1861- Class: RG9; Piece: 2478; Folio: 26; Page: 10
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X