GRO certificates on walkabout? - question for expats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRO certificates on walkabout? - question for expats

Has anybody not in the UK been receiving their certs from the GRO long after the send-out date?

Last cert - send out date 28/12 - arrived 10/01 in nice clean envelope with a Swiss postage stamp on it (???).

Last cert before last, post code missed off on envelope (although I know I entered it on the site), consequently cert did a 'tour de france' - merci beaucoup - for two weeks before it reached me
    CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

My last lot arrived reasonably on time, but I put up a thread last August because some were about 2 months late. They re-sent them a second and a third time after I complained.

The 3rd lot arrived first, then the second lot, with no stamp on the envelope; I think they'd been sent from Sweden or somewhere, I forget now. The first lot never arrived at all.

Comment

Isn't that weird? I complained too about the first lot and they sent a replacament which arrived a couple of days before the original order (lol, got two certs for the pricez of one which can pass on to a cous now). For the second missing cert, it arrived the day I complained via Switzerland - pure coincidence - they haven't answered my mail yet (but they didn't last time either).

Comment

I ordered a couple before Christmas which came within a reasonable amount of time.

A friend has had her two last orders go missing, and has had to re-order both times.
        Elaine

Comment

I've read a lot about TNT etc - something to do with that, do you think - outsourcing etc?

Comment

I'm beginning to wonder, although I've often used TNT here in Italy and never had any trouble with them (unlike certain couriers).

Comment

I am about to send for some so will let you know!!

I don't remember which courier they use, but Katie counts as an international student and sometimes her stuff from the university takes up to a month to get here - it arrives via either Switzerland or Frankfurt - but it takes two days by normal post. She missed out on accommodation first choices when she first went there because of the delay.
              Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Just as an aside TNT are the couriers used by the HMRC when the child benefit disks went missing:(
                Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Originally posted by Pippa Doll View Post
                  Just as an aside TNT are the couriers used by the HMRC when the child benefit disks went missing:(
                  I thought they said that they were one of two or three that they used, and they couldn't be sure which one it was? (Which says nothing for HMRC's systems in that respect!) Or did I miss a later clarification?

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Looks as if things are working OK at the moment.
                    Seven certificates ordered on 17 Jan with despatch date of 23 Jan.

We have a post office box so have to drive about 8km to check the post! :(
                    Pleased to see seven envelopes waiting for me this morning.

Postmarked Sweden.
                    Elaine

Comment

*$%&!*!

One wrong - my first wrong certificate! :o
                      Elaine

Comment

I must have been lucky as the last two certs I ordered arrived before the date of dispatch. The one I ordered just before Xmas with a dispatch date after Christmas it arrived before Xmas and I then ordered another early Jan and it arrived within a week of ordering it. I only wish it was like that all the time!!
                        GWEN

Comment

I have had no trouble with the GRO so far, here in Turkey, but haven't ordered anything for a bit.
                          I was going to send off for a couple today but you are making me think
                          To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

Comment

Had my 6 arrive on the 25th that were ordered on the 21st.
                            teresa

Comment

I have ordered some since my first posting and they arrived when they were supposed to but in my excitement to get at the info I forgot to look at the postmark. But why do they go via Sweden to get to Spain and via Switzerland to get to Northern France? The mysteries of modern logistics?

Comment

I haven't ordered any since before Christmas but the last one I received came earlier than expected. I didn't notice the postmark though.
                                Jenny

Comment

I was going to make a similar comment to Pippa - none of you have received the missing child benefit data, missing health records or missing DVLA data then?

How about 3 very large blue A4 binders and a computer disc I sent to Wigan in August via TNT that also went missing? (Work related)
                                  Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

My certs that I ordered a week ago have arrived.
                                    Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

I haven't ordered from the GRO recently, but one I ordered from a local RO (Neath) arrived within a week - and they don't have online ordering, so that week included delivery time in both directions.
                                      Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

Comment

Working...
                                      X