Can anyone read this please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone read this please?

Sorry, don't know how to make it any bigger (she says pathetically)

It is the maiden surname of Margaret McCaskill I am after.

Ooops - upside down!!! HEEEELP!!!

LOL! :D

Is it Banchory Devenick, OC?

Your Scottish bods seem to hang out near to my Wisharts and Johnstons. I'd be interested if you come across them in your travels.

I'll look when it's the right way up ! Sorry I can't help you there.:(
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Oh, I think it is Aberdeen - still the territory of my Wisharts, Richardsons and Johnstons.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Tom

uh?

You are talking to a computer imbecile here - Photobucket did it, not me, I just pressed the button.

(It's the name at the very bottom, by the way, for those who fancy standing on their heads, lol)

OC

Comment

Oc if it is the bottom one when it is the right way up i think it could possibly say something like Lipwood, have been playing with the contrast etc on my computer and it's the only thing i can get it to look like.
          Jen

Comment

Hi I am sorry I have looked at it and can not make it out at all
            Sorry

Laura

Comment

Tom can you snag this and see if you get the same i hope the contrast hasn't changed whilst i've been saving as it was messing about telling me messages lol.

oc.jpg
              Jen

Comment

I have just been back to SP to look at the original, and that is no better, even when magnified.

It LOOKS like Catterseach - but no such surname exists. From somewhere, I have a pencilled note....Patterson...I don't know WHERE I got that from! None of Malcolm McCaskill's children were baptised, and he was never born, never married and never died, either.

I think this is a lost cause, but thankyou all anyway - you can turn yourselves the right way up again now, lol!

OC

Comment

Is this any better?

I'm hoping this downloads, never done it before.

Barbara
                  Attached Files

Comment

OC

this any better??

Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

It looks like Williams at the beginning, could it possibly be a double-barrelled name.

Barbara

Comment

It is really awful, isn't it? Is there any point complaining to SP, do you think?

OC

Comment

Don't complain, but if you send them a nice email they may well scan it again and post you a copy. After all, you've paid for it. They sent me a lovely paper copy of an 1855 birth register where the registrar had used such a fine nib it didn't scan too well.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks UJ, I'll try that!

OC

Comment

Following on from my thread about whether to say when you have looked/tried even when it's no help - just to let you know that I can't read it but I have tried darkening it and allsorts to no avail I'm afraid. This was my last shot Which I then looked at with the blow up fascility

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

After turning my laptop upside down... is maiden name the second column from the right? I can't read the column heading. If so I think it's Wilkinson something.
                                Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

Comment

I think you can order a printed copy of it via Scotland's People, not sure how much it costs. But certainly worth contacting them first to ask if they can email you a better copy because you can't read the downloaded one. I had to report a few cases where the image didn't match the index and they were pretty quick to email me the correct image in each case.
                                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Michael

No, third column from the right, and the very last name at the bottom of the frame.

But please don't worry - this is impossible and I am going to do what UJ suggests and crawl to SP in the hope they will send me a better copy.

OC

Comment

Best guess at the first and last bits is Catt******wood and I haven't a clue what the bit in the middle is.
                                      Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                                        Don't complain, but if you send them a nice email they may well scan it again and post you a copy. After all, you've paid for it. They sent me a lovely paper copy of an 1855 birth register where the registrar had used such a fine nib it didn't scan too well.
                                        It wasn't Stirling was it Uncle John? They kindly sent me a paper copy of an 1855 death which had been written with a very fine nib and would not scan well.

OC - SP have e-mailed me fresh scans several times.

I'm afraid I could make nothing sensible at all out of your image, but I have sometimes found that printing SP images off and squinting (as when one tries to "see" 3D images) can magically make maiden names etc clearer.
                                        Gillian
                                        User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Working...
                                        X