Canada look up please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada look up please

Has anyone got Ancestry deluxe that could do a look up for me please.
    I am looking for Frances Josephine Hatton born 1840 Liverpool. She moved to Canada in 1869. I was wondering if there was any information if she ever married or what she did for a living etc.
    Thankyou in advance.
    Last edited by jennie; 12-01-08, 19:26.
    Jen

Have you looked on here to see if there are any clues:
    Search - Passenger Lists, 1865-1922 - Library and Archives Canada

They aren't indexed (at least, not on that site), so you have to wade through the images.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine will go and have a look thankyou.
      Jen

Comment

Hold everything, I've found the marriage! 26 Dec 1871 St. Pauls Cathedral, London (presumably Ontario!). Now I'll go away and transcribe it. I also have the image if you want to PM your email address.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Right, here we go.

First, here she is in 1861, a visitor aged 20 (musician's daughter) at West Pallant, Chichester Sussex
          RG9 / 624 / 40 Page 6.
          Head is Francis A B Bonney, a widowed GP and apothecary, with his 3 children and 2 servants.

Marriage is on 26 Dec 1871 at St Pauls Cathedral, London, Middlesex (presumably Ontario).

Groom: Charles Greenwood Moore aged 53 or 58 (the image isn't wonderful).
          Condition: widower
          Residing: London
          Born: England
          Parents: John and Jane Moore

Bride: Frances Josephine Hatton aged 29
          Condition: spinster
          Residing: London
          Born: England
          Parents: John (mumble) Hatton and Emma Hatton
          (the writing is not too clear)
          Witnesses: Francis Hand and Charles S Moore

That should give us some help in looking for a death.

Comment

I've now found her death in Middlesex Ontario on 8 March 1906. Died of heart disease. Her husband was the physician in attendance and the informant. I've saved the image if you'd like it.

EDIT: her husband died in 1886 (also got the image) so perhaps it's their son who is the informant in 1906 (haven't found any children yet though).
            Last edited by Uncle John; 12-01-08, 21:18.

Comment

And for my next (and probably final) trick, the family is in the 1881 Canadian census in the IGI.

In Ward 6, London Ontario:

Charles Moore 62 born England, phys.
              Frances "" 42 born England
              Jane "" 21 all born Ontario
              Ada "" 29
              Frank "" 8
              Quita "" 5
              William "" 2
              (F) newborn

It looks like Jane and Ada belong to his first marriage.

Comment

Thankyou very much Uncle John. Will pm you.
                Jen

Comment

PM received and 3 images sent.

Comparing the information, it looks to me as if Charles S Moore the marriage witness could also be the physician and informant for Frances' death.

For general info, Ontario marriage and death registrations are 6 to a page, three columns of two, with the information set out vertically. Looks very sensible.

It sould be possible to find Charles Greenwood Moore's first marriage (from the ages of his eldest 2 daughters). I suppose he could have married before or after emigrating. Charles S Moore might be his eldest son.

I'm sure the 1900 Canadian census is on Ancestry.

Comment

I expect that these are on the Wiki, but they have some useful links:

Canada Genealogy | Canadian Genealogy
                    Canadian Genealogy and History Links - Searchable
                    Genealogy Links - Canadian Genealogy Centre - Library and Archives Canada

I know I've been able to search and use the Canadian censuses (1901 and 1911, anyway) without recourse to Ancestry.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Census of Canada, 1901 - ArchiviaNet - Library and Archives Canada
                      Census of Canada, 1911 - ArchiviaNet - Library and Archives Canada

Now I know I had the use of some census transcriptions, but I can't spot the links at the moment.

I'll keep looking...

Comment

I was looking in Toronto, so it may have been a link like this:

OntarioGenWeb's Census Project
                        (found via: Ontario GenWeb)

Comment

This page is also very useful - not for indexes or suchlike, but in describing particular aspects which arise in Canadian and, specifically, Ontario family history research. In fact it has some excellent comments which apply for general research. It's aimed partly at "newbies" but has info of general use.

Ontario GenWeb

Christine

Comment

HI

I think this website would best describe the man that Frances Josephine Hatton married even a picture of the esteemed man himself.

Dr. Charles Greenwood Moore Sr.
                            WendyP

Comment

HI

10 November aboard the Toronto going into NY after boarding in London England

Charles Moore 28 Surgeon
                              Ann Moore 26
                              Charles Moore 5
                              John Moore 3
                              WendyP

Comment

Originally posted by WendyP View Post
                                HI

10 November aboard the Toronto going into NY after boarding in London England

Charles Moore 28 Surgeon
                                Ann Moore 26
                                Charles Moore 5
                                John Moore 3
                                You don't mention a year, but the passenger list may be findable here:
                                Search - Passenger Lists, 1865-1922 - Library and Archives Canada

Comment

Oops sorry

the year was 1845.

thanks Christine
                                  WendyP

Comment

Then this may be more useful:
                                    Passenger Lists before 1865 - Immigration and Citizenship - What to Search: Topics - Canadian Genealogy Centre - Library and Archives Canada

Nothing online, so far as I can see, but links and other useful info.

OOPs - wrong link! now (hopefully) corrected.

Christine
                                    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 13-01-08, 15:48.

Comment

HI

This would be Frances J Hatton with her mum Emma in the 1861 it seems there are two very similar girls with similar details, they are shown as Lodgers but not sure on that one.

Emma is shown as being 60 Married and beign the Wife of a Proffessor of Music daughter Occ is Professor of Music.

RG9; Piece: 623; Folio: 48; Page: 13
                                      WendyP

Comment

Thankyou so much Wendy and Christine. Looks like i am going to be busy and to have a photo of him as well.
                                        Jen

Comment

Working...
                                        X