X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Census help '51 onwards please

The folowing people are found in Pendleton, Lancs in the 1841,
    HO107; Piece 543; Folio: 10;

Benjamin Goulson 40 (surgeon and born out of county)
    Emma Goulson 15
    John Goulson 12
    Joseph Goulson 11
    Mary Goulson 9
    Thomas Goulson 14

All the youngsters are recorded as born in County.

I'm struggling to find any of them post '41 except possibly in 1861 there is a John Goulson abt 1832 still in Lancs.

Can anyone see any likely matches anywhere for any of this lot?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

All I can find is John in 1881 born 1829 Pendleton
    RG11 3949/123/2

and possibly Mary in 1881 although born Salford 1834, she is unmarried and a visitor.
    RG11 3751/120/1

Found these on Familysearch, couldn't find anything on Ancestry
    Christine in Portugal

Comment

Thanks for looking,

About the same result as me then.

I have found a death in Salford in 1847 for a Benjamin Goulson, i wonder if he might be the surgeon chap (i think he was a dentist, there is mention of some contraption for extracting teeth somewhere).

Looks like the family may have been sent all over the place to be with other family.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Hi what about this one in 1981

RG11 3949 folio 123 page 2 gsu 1341943

Laura

Comment

there is also this one

1881 Joseph Goulson
          RG11 Piece 3703 folio 22 page 38 gsu 1341887
          1891 RG12 p 2937 folio 77 page 25 gsu 6098047

Laura
          Last edited by Laura the Explorer; 12-01-08, 20:52.

Comment

1851 result for the 1834 Mary shows her in Rawdon, Yorks. Same in '61 and '71.

The '51 household;

Ann Emsley 7yrs
            Edmund Emsley 31 yrs
            Fredrick Emsley 28yrs
            Harriet Maria Emsley 33 yrs
            Jane Elizabeth Emsley 3 Mo
            Robert Emsley 5yrs
            Mary Goulson 17

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by Laura the Explorer View Post
              there is also this one

1881 Joseph Goulson
              RG11 Piece 3703 folio 22 page 38 gsu 1341887

Laura

Thanks Laura, just found him from 1861-1891 after your tip off. I think i'm going blind with this lot, so many results and so few christian names :D

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

John Goulson and wife

1871 in lancs

Class: RG10; Piece: 4012; Folio: 51; Page: 4
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

there is a thomas goulson death in Manchester

Jun Q 1849

manchester, lancs

vol 20

page 636
                  Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                    John Goulson and wife

1871 in lancs

Class: RG10; Piece: 4012; Folio: 51; Page: 4
                    Ooh, ooh

Now he appears on GR and the tree owner has several names that appear in my tree. Now i just have to wait for a reply and hope he hasn't pulled it all from a certain other tree i would rather ignore :D

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Mm... Johns wife is Maria... if that helps
                      Julie

Comment

there is a thomas goulson death in Manchester

Jun Q 1849

manchester, lancs

vol 20

page 636
                        Wonder if the '41 family are connected to these two deaths?

Benjamin Q2 1847 Salford

and possibly the mother(?) Hannah Sep qtr 1837, Salford

One way or another i'm sure this lot tie into the Lincolnshire families and down to the stuff listed on TNA for a Wythenshawe family in the mid 1900's

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Mm... Johns wife is Maria... if that helps
                          Yep, not found on freebmd either :(

The Joseph that Laura found married Georgina Street, that is on freebmd and the IGI.

Now i'm very worried

1899 death, Maria Montgomery Goulson 61 Barton upon Irwell 8c 385

That middle name has got me a bit spooked

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Is this likely to be the John & Maria marriage:

GOULSON John WHITEHEAD Maria 1853 Chorlton-on-Medlock Registar Attended Lancashire Manchester CHO_RM/8/87
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

And this looks like a possible, too - but you'd need to check it against censuses to be confident.

GOULSON Joseph STREET Georgina 1852 Manchester Cathedral Lancashire Manchester CATH/90/31

13 Jan 08, 13:45 Just seen that that's already posted above. If it's on the IGI, there'll be an exact date, too.
                              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 13-01-08, 13:44.
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

No marriages show up (on easy searches) for Emma, Mary or Thomas.

I'll have a look for deaths, and see whether I can find anything.

Christine

Comment

This marriage might have something to do with your lot:

GOULSON Emma STREET Edward 1879 Blackpool, St.John Lancashire Blackpool D/2/276

Comment

Hi Christine

From what i found last night i think the marriages you posted are probably the right ones.

From another site i have pulled up some details that suggest that the family from the '41 i posted are father and children. The father is originally from Lincolnshire (though i can't verify he fits as the other site suggests at the moment) but although i do have matches to his name i haven't got one from the right time.

The other site and the '41 suggest Benjamin c1801 Lincolnshire, but the only Benjamin Goulson entries i have are as follows;

Benjamin Goulson Ropsley, Lincolnshire 1792
                                    Benjamin Goulson Great Ponton, Lincolnshire 1753
                                    Benjamin Goulson Ropsley Lincolnshire 1807 1807
                                    Benjamin Goulson Lincoln, Lincolnshire 1849 1895
                                    Benjamin Goulson - 1677 1731
                                    Benjamin Goulson Ropsley Lincolnshire 1813

The 1792 chap is a descendant of a surgeon but that could be a co-incedence.
                                    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 13-01-08, 13:56.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Is the North Lincs site likely to be any use to you? Perhaps you've found and used it already?

Christine

Comment

I did find the entries for Mary posted earlier in the thread in Rawdon, in '61 and '71 she is with a family by the name of Elmsley.

Q1 1891 i found a birth that seems to connect;

Goulson John Emsley Barton I. 8c 700

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                                        X