Anyone near Berkshire RO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone near Berkshire RO?

I would like a baptism look up if that is possible please.

It is my great grandfather James Smith. I have got his birth cert. Born Hampstead Norris 30/11/1869. Mother Sarah Smith. No father (putitive father Thomas Hammond/s). There is an extracted bap on IGI: 02/01/1870 which I think is him so it would be a really quick search

The reason I'm asking is in the hope that the vicar was kind enough to write 'bastard child of Thomas Hammond' or whoever;)

Thanks in anticipation
    Rose

just nudging up for Rosie
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Thanks Vikki - I was just coming to give it a nudge myself
      Rose

Comment

Rosie

Have you tried looking to see if there's an online parish clerk who could help you?
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Nell, I hadn't but I have now had a look. Sadly the closest I can find is Wilts and Hants.
          Rose

Comment

You could try a very polite e-mail to the Records Office. I've done this before with other things - where you have an exact date its not too much effort and it will be less effort than charging you and producing an invoice.

Worth a shot, anyway! If they do reply and say there's a charge, it shouldn't be much more than cost of photocopying and postage.

Comment

I emailed Berks RO a while back and asked if they could check a detail of a baptism - because I had the exact date I was told there wouldn't be any charge and they emailed me back the details. Glos RO did the same thing - although I wouldn't like to try it very often: )
              Asa

Comment

oooooooo thank you! I will try that and see what they say.

I'll let you know.

EDIT: request sent, waiting reply......
                Last edited by Rosie Knees; 14-01-08, 14:26.
                Rose

Comment

Keep us posted!

Comment

How disappointing! They have replied but they want £9.00 for a half hour search. Considering it would take maybe 5 minutes with the info I have given I don't think I'll bother.:( Still, it was worth a try. If you don't ask, you don't get!

*dabs eyes and cries quietly. Wonders what Asa's got that I haven't*
                    Rose

Comment

Oh I'm sorry Rosie - you must have got a grumpy archivist: ( It's possible that I may be going there for a couple of hours to do some research for someone else in a few weeks. If I am, I'll let you know.
                      Asa

Comment

Asa, thank you! It would be great if you could do that. Don't worry if you can't make it though.

I forgive you for getting a better response than I did;)
                        Rose

Comment

Working...
                        X