Help needed reading 1851 census please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed reading 1851 census please

William Evans on 1851 census, can someone confirm the surname of Catherine living with him, transcribed as Heton? Also I think it says "aunt" but not sure ?

There is an "M" on the same line in the end column, does anyone know what that means?

Class: HO107; Piece: 1552; Folio: 756; Page: 53; GSU roll: 174782-174783.

Thanks!

Joanie

Looks like aunt.
    Name - Hilden / Holden
    I think the letter in the last column is a continuation of the place of birth - St. Georges ????
    Elaine

Comment

It does say aunt but the name looks like Hilder/Hilden to me.
      Heather

Comment

The Surname looks like Hilder or Hilden to me and it does give relationship as Aunt.
        What the M is for, I have no idea.

Comment

I wonder if it is a continuation, ie St Georges, then "M" for Middlesex?

I agree, I think it is Hilder or Hilden.

Thanks!

:D

Joanie

Comment

Concur that relationship is "aunt". Not certain of surname, but think Hilden is the most likely reading. That M is curious, it doesn't seem to be part of address, and isn't recognisable abbreviation. On the other hand, it doesn't appear to mean deaf, dumb or blind.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Regarding the 'M' ... he has strayed into the last column on other census images, so it's probably M for Middlesex ... (or Mad ?)

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Very sloppy! It should be Middlx. I don't think mad was an acceptable term, Rachel! Lunatic/imbecile/epileptic are terms I've seen, but only on 1891 and 1901 censuses.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I agree about the gist of the name - but I can see how it might be one of OC's lot, i.e. HOLDEN. There's no sign of a floating dot for an i, and there could be a bit of a twitch in the upward stroke joining the letter to the l - which could allow for a lazily-formed o.

I did think that the writing in the last column might be an abbreviated form of Mx for Middlesex, but there's an example of Middx further up on the page, and the M there is much the same shape (tho' without that squiggle at the end) - tho' the x at the end is quite like the squiggle on the M we're studying.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I read the end column as WR, as in St George's Westminster.

Comment

But I don't think there is a St Geo Westminster, is there?? St James, St Margaret....erm.....

Comment

Aaaah!

I'd thought the last letter might be an R. That's certainly a possibility.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                          But I don't think there is a St Geo Westminster, is there?? St James, St Margaret....erm.....
                          How about St Georges Hanover Square? That's in Westminster I think.

Comment

Working...
                          X