could this be a mistake,i have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• could this be a mistake,i have

a great aunt mirriam holder marring a stephen flynn.. born1860 leeds,married 1878 hunslet leeds,they have a sonedward w born 1879?on the 1881 census mother and son are with my g granparents address 8,woodville road,hunslet leeds.so would this be why?

but i have found on the ancestry census a s a flynn aged 21 as an inmate in wakefield prison and occupation is spinner factory but under the gender it says female is this wrong ?because its the same birthdate as stephen flynn,or do you think they are different people?

Unless Wakefield was a mixed prison, I think this was a mistake, but I can't find the entry - is it 1881 that you found the prison entry?

What is Stephen's occupation on marriage cert?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

not got it but i know they were married mum told me,i can copy them and send the printouts i have to you as a pm if you want brenda xxxprison address is hm county prison love lane westgate
      Last edited by Guest; 11-01-08, 20:39.

Comment

Nell, he/she is here:

RG11; Piece: 4579; Folio: 112; Page: 36

Comment

The whole page is for women prisoners - if they were mixed I think it might be him.

They've listed the men first on several pages and then the women (of which she is on 2nd or 3rd page)
          Last edited by JBee; 11-01-08, 20:43.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

merry thankyou brenda xxx but would they put him as female?

Comment

It must be a womens prison......you dont get many male charwomen in Victorian times!! (others on the same page)

Comment

So it's not him!

Comment

but its put as inmate does it say what he was in for if it is male?brenda xxx

Comment

Down as single and a middle initial as well as being apparently female!

Comment

well well well birthdates are the same could he have been a twin?

Comment

so this is not my ancester?brenda xxx

Comment

Perhaps trying to be incognito!!!!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

According to this site

Wakefield did have some female prisoners. BUT it doesn't give exact date of birth or a name for this S Flynn, who was born in Manchester, so I don't see why you think it will be your chap?

Comment

i assumed same name same birthdate and some census say different places of birth,glad i have,t got a convict,but because mother and son was with her parents when this one was in prison also confused me brenda xxx

Comment

Flynn is quite a common name, so just because you find two S Flynns with the same year of birth doesn't mean they're the same person.

Comment

no but on the census they were both at one time living in hunslet leeds,so they could have been cousins.but glad he is no relation brenda xxx

Comment

Brenda

You don't know that the S Flynn born Manchester in Wakefield prison was ever in Hunslet, do you? - you don't even know her first name. And a rough year of birth (which could be a year out either way on the census) isn't the same as an exact birthdate.

Comment

Originally posted by brenmac View Post
                                      a great aunt mirriam holder marring a stephen flynn.. born1860 leeds,married 1878 hunslet leeds,they have a sonedward w born 1879?on the 1881 census mother and son are with my g granparents address 8,woodville road,hunslet leeds.
                                      I just looked at the 1881 census and whilst Edward is with his grandparents, I can't see his mother living with them......

Joseph HOLDER Head M 51 Coal Miner Stroud, Gloucester
                                      Sarah HOLDER Wife M 50 Stroud, Gloucester, England
                                      Adeline HOLDER Daur U 18 Flax Reeler Cinderford, Gloucester
                                      Julia E. HOLDER Daur U 16 Flax screwer Cinderford, Gloucester
                                      Sarah A. HOLDER Daur 14 Flax screwer Cinderford, Gloucester
                                      Edward W. FLYNN Grandson 2 Hunslet, York

Comment

In 1891 Edward is with his mother (called Minnie) and Minnie is a widow.

So how do you know where Stephen was born?

Maybe you have him on the 1871 and 1861 census with the benefit of his father's details from the marriage cert??

Comment

Working...
                                        X