Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage records

Have been to Archives today to look up a marriage

In the column for the father of the groom and bride, both had got their mothers names. Was very surprised.

Has anyone else come across this

Pam
    Pam

You mean on parish records?

Comment

Yes Heather
      Pam

Comment

That's really interesting, Pam,

What time period was it and was it a church wedding?

Comment

Forgot to say. The fathers names were not there, just the mothers.. It was the grooms father we were after, and it was his mothers maiden name that was on there, which wouldnt have been here name at that time as she had married. He also stated he was a bachelor, when in fact had been married before
          Pam

Comment

It was in 1865, Chuch wedding
            Pam

Comment

Do you know if either/both of them were illegitimate?

Comment

Think he was.
                Pam

Comment

So the kindly minister allowed a mother's name rather than a blank space?

How nice!!

I think the majority of people who were illegitimate didn't manage to get their real father's name on their marriage cert. Most would use a step-father's name or make up a name or admit their status and end up with no details quoted.

Comment

My gt grandmother was illegitimate. Her marriage cert father's column says "illegitimate daughter of Susannah Barnes". So nice that it wasn't just blank. This cert was from 1867.
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I have seen (early) marriages where the mother's name is given if there is no father.

OC

Comment

Were they under the age of consent?

If there were no father's names to record maybe the mother's names were recorded to show consent given?....Suppose that would mean they may also be witnesses???....But if they were over age of consent then that theory doesn't work :D
                        Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Checked my notes. He was 17 and she was 18.

It was on his next marriage 1n 1875 that he declared himself a batchelor. and on this marriage gives a fathers name, which is the same surname as his mothers maiden name

Oh what a tangled web we weave, when we practice to deceive.
                          Pam

Comment

I also have loads of widow/ers and one or two divorcees, who declare themselves bachelor or spinster at a subsequent marriage.

I cannot decide whether they thought they were saving themselves the complication of having to produce documents they might have lost, or whether they had fibbed to their intended.

In some cases though, the same Vicar officiated at both ceremonies and MUST have known Joe Bloggs was a widower, in a small village.

OC

Comment

perhaps the vicar made the decision because he couldn't spell widower!
                              ~ with love from Little Nell~
                              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                              X