Scotland help please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland help please?

I am trying to establish when some of my mothers siblings were born in Nottinghamshire and have been checking deaths to find out. I have just realised that my Uncle Cyril Morley died in Scotland though. I know he died after 1984. Is there a Scottish site where I can find out when he died and also what year he was born please (or age at death)?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

If you don't have any success the forum below is very good and will do lookups in Edinburgh for a reasonable price

SCOTLANDS FAMILY TREE(The friendly forum!) :: Home
    Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Unfortunately no

Not unless he fits in with Scotlandspeople records which gives
      Births 100 years ago
      Marriages 75 years ago
      Deaths 50 years ago.

This is the irony I found the death of a rellie before I found he'd been born!!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

That's for putting that link up Jean.

I registered and then couldn't find the site again!!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thanks Jean and JB.

I will go and have a look at Scotlands people first. He only died there. Oh, I see what you mean, he had to have died over 50 years ago?

Comment

Yes.

That's why I had to go up to the GRO and spend a day searching for OH's vast array of aunts and uncles and still need to go back but don't know when yet. I spent the whole day there from 9am until 4.30pm without getting off my seat (made sure I got my £17 worth!!!) lol

Perhaps if someones going to the GRO in near future they might be able to do a lookup for you.

Comment

Chrissie,

I had a problem finding my grandfather's death in the 1930's as all I had was his name and that was the very common name of Gibson, and that he had died in Glasgow! However I did know his wife's name, so I decided to write to Edinburgh GRO to ask for a search of five years quoting her name. I decided that I knew he was still alive in 1929 but I was almost certain that he was dead by 1936 to 1940 so I asked for a search from 1930 to 1935,and was prepared to ask each time for the next five years if there was no joy for this five years of 1930 to 1935.

They came back with the death cert in 1932, giving me his parents' names, the fact his mother had been married twice, and gave both her first marriage name as well as her maiden name and where he was born, which was far from Glasgow. My advice is that if you have some idea of time frame and either the place of death or the wife's name then there is a good chance that the information can be found. It cost me £13 for this information which I did obtain about 10 years ago so you may have to pay a bit more but well worth the try.

Janet

Comment

Thanks JBee but it isn't that important. I'm sure I can work out his birth some other way. I'm so pleased most of mine are England. It must be very difficult for you.

Good luck

Comment

Having just written all of the above I see that it is being suggested that the death has to be 50 years before you can obtain access. I don't know about that. Try ringing GRO to see what they say.

Janet

Comment

Goodness Janet, I take back what I said about Scottish records. At least when you do get them they are certainly worth having. I bet you were over the moon

Comment

Chrissie

Over the moon! I was so pleased with Edinburgh GRO that I rang them to tell them so!! Without this info I would never have got my Gibson lot back to the 1700's with an interesting Wyllie Tree on my Grt G mothers side that has taken me over the world!!

I have to say that I never knew there was a 50 year rule.

Janet

Comment

It's only the scotlandspeople site that has the rule as its online

If you go in person to the GRO or ring them up you can search but you do need some idea of what year if you phone them.

And yes scottish statutory certificates are fantastic but they only start in 1855 and before that its OPR's which can be a little less helpful or not helpful at all with just the names of the bride and groom and of this parish!!! lol

I've found doing OH's tree much easier than my english and irish one!!!!

Comment

coooeee Chrissie!!!! i'm going to reg house on mon 21st jan....send me the details and i'll look it up for you if you like xx
                          Jilly "keeping the grin gear working" McMad

http://JillysMcMadHouse.synthasite.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jilly McMad View Post
                            coooeee Chrissie!!!! i'm going to reg house on mon 21st jan....send me the details and i'll look it up for you if you like xx

:D :D :D :D
                            With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

pmsl wot you laughing at hen lmao

Comment

oooo ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jilly McMad View Post
                                  pmsl wot you laughing at hen lmao

:D Nothing hen..... just you!!
                                  With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

that's fair tickled me that has lmao

Comment

What can I say :D:D:D A very kind thought Jilly

Comment

you're very welcome!!! lolol

Comment

Working...
                                        X