Help reading 1851 census please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading 1851 census please

I'm struggling to read the places of birth for James East, his wife Jemima (transcribed Luciana), his daughters Jemima and Charlotte and son James.

James East born about 1810 and his son James born about 1842.
    HO107; Piece: 1526; Folio: 98; Page: 48; GSU roll: 174756.

I hope this is the family I am looking for. In later censuses James junior says he's born in St Sepulchre and there is an IGI extracted entry which matches this with the right parents. I am hoping that James senior is from Buckinghamshire and I so want it to say Aylesbury!

Anne
    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 11-01-08, 17:02.

Hi Anne
    James is noted as born in Aylesbury,just having a look at the others.

It actually says Alysbury (mistranscription i think)

Comment

Think James is Aylesbury..

]

Comment

The other place name looks like Rettidom ?? Definately bad spelling ...this ones hard !:(

Comment

Oh maybe needs an experienced eye lol. It does look like Rettidom but have never heard of it! Sorry..

]

Comment

On second thought it doesn't begin with an R at all.
            The squiggly top bit is the downcurve of the Y in Alysbury.
            It looks more like a small n or h .... could it be nettleden,i think thats in Bucks ?

Comment

Yes, I think it means to say Aylesbury as well but thought I needed someone else to say so!

The other is a mystery which I hope people with more experience of London might solve. I am convinced it is somewhere in West London. The IGI baptism at St Sepulchre (which James junior claims as his birth place on the 1871 and 1881 census) point to that. I believe this must be his birth registration too. Q1 1842 West London II 244.

Anne

PS forgot to say I think James senior and his wife Jemima have died before the 1861 census. There are certainly two possible death regs.

Comment

Hmmm - thats certainly a possibility, Valley. Grasping at the Bucks straws again!! Although I think James and Jemima married in London (based merely on IGI evidence) it doesn't mean that she didn't come from Bucks.

Anne

Comment

Please will anyone else have a look?

Please could anyone with experience of London names look at Jemima East and the children Jemima, Charlotte and James as listed in the first message. I am convinced these are the same children who are baptised at St Sepulchre. I think mother Jemima is Jemima Hall who married James East in Finsbury.

It looks like Rettidom but Valley pointed out that it might not be an R at all. Can anyone work out what it is meant to be. pretty please?? :o

Anne

Comment

Working...
                  X