Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What date and age please...your expertise required.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What date and age please...your expertise required.

What decade do you think this photo is from and also i'd like your opinion of the ladies rough age. It's a very poor photo but belived to be very old. :(

With her hair having a centre parting and being brushed back at the sides leaving the ears exposed you can just make out the chignon at the back of the head where it rests at the nape of the neck. Her bodice has low epaulettes to the shoulder area and the sleeves are in the form of a style known as Bishops Sleeves, full from the shoulder to the wrist where a deep cuff joins the material of the sleeve. The skirt still shows its fullness whilst the woman is in the sitting position as it would when she stands. All the above would indicate to me a date line of between 1865 (could be a tad earlier) to 1870. In 1870 epaulettes on bodices started to disappear from fashion and the use of the chignon in womens hair styles was more prominant in the 1860's than the 1870's.

don.

Comment

I have to learn to be quicker, by the time I had gone and checked my information Don had posted! He's absolutely correct of course..:D

Comment

id say she is about 30 and date 1880 brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
        X