A Scotsman abroad.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Scotsman abroad.....

If an English or Welsh family has BMD events abroad they can get them registered here and the entries appear in the overseas indexes.

What happens with a Scots family abroad??

same i think Merry....I know that i've had folks in the tree and have been able to view a consulate record at register house....I think...dont quote me on this tho....that its up to the individual family if they chose to register in this country....I dont think its compulsory
    Jilly "keeping the grin gear working" McMad

http://JillysMcMadHouse.synthasite.com

Comment

Unless they register it here you wont find any details...officially my marriage doesnt exist ;)

Comment

*titters at the thought of Merry looking for Urquhart, pronounced Orchiston, transcribed ?????? in India/China/Prussia...*

OC

Comment

*ignores OC*

So they're not online anywhere Jilly? (Victorian period)

Ceylon, OC :(

Comment

I agree it's not compulsory....

Comment

Ceylon!!

Hahahahahahaha.....!!!

(Tried the IGI?)

OC

Comment

i'm not sure if scotlands people has consulate records online.....i wouldnt think so.....I can look them up for you when i'm next over at reg house if you like

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                  *titters at the thought of Merry looking for Urquhart, pronounced Orchiston, transcribed ?????? in India/China/Prussia...*

OC

how on earth diz you get that pronunciation from Urquhart??? pmsl

Comment

Jilly

Don't ask ME! It is the "vernacular pronunciation of the name Urquhart".

All I know is that speaking the Scottish requires a lot of throat clearing noises when you reach a consonant, lol!

OC

Comment

Jilly, don't ask OC that........(she won't shut up about it :()

I would love it is you were able to check a few things Jilly

Comment

My friend (from Luton, you will remember) says it "Or-kes-ton". Not "Er-cart" pmsl!!

Comment

Merry, there are the "Minor Records" on Scotland's People - despite their name, nothing to do with minors!

Births included:
                          Foreign Returns include Consular Returns of births of persons of Scottish descent or birth (from 1914), and the Register of Births in Foreign Countries, which comprises births of children of Scottish parents (1860 - 1965).
                          Marine Register (from 1855) includes births on British-registered merchant vessels at sea, where it appears that one of the child's parents was usually resident in Scotland.
                          Service Returns (from 1881) Army returns of births of Scottish persons at military stations abroad.

Note: the end date for statutory births currently accessible on this site is 1907 therefore minor records beyond this date are not available online

Marriages included:
                          Foreign Returns include Consular Returns of marriages of persons of Scottish descent or birth (from 1917), and the Register of Marriages in Foreign Countries, which comprises marriages of Scottish persons (1860 - 1965).
                          Service Returns (1881-1959) include Army returns of marriages of Scottish persons at military stations abroad.

Note: the end date for statutory marriages currently accessible on this site is 1932 therefore minor records beyond this date are not available online.

Deaths included:
                          Air Register (from 1948) includes deaths on British-registered aircraft, where it appears that the deceased was usually resident in Scotland.
                          Foreign Returns include Consular Returns of deaths of persons of Scottish descent or birth (from 1914), and the Register of Deaths in Foreign Countries, which comprises deaths of Scottish persons (1860 - 1965).
                          Marine Register (from 1855) includes deaths on British-registered merchant vessels at sea, where it appears that the deceased was usually resident in Scotland and deaths at sea of Royal Navy and Royal Marine personnel during wartime, including Royal Naval Reserve, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve and RNLI. Cause of death for RN personnel was recorded in the register as a number (1, 2, 3 or 4). Find out more
                          Service Returns (from 1881) include Army returns of deaths of Scottish persons at military stations abroad.
                          War Returns include registers of deaths of Scottish soldiers in the South African War (1899-1902); Scottish persons serving as Warrant Officers, Non-Commissioned officers or Men in the Army (not officers) and Petty Officers or Men in the Royal Navy in World War I (1914-1918); Scottish members of the Armed Forces in World War II (1939-1945).

Note: the end date for statutory deaths currently accessible on this site is 1957 therefore minor records beyond this date are not available online

It seems that not a lot of people know that!
                          (info from Scotland's People)
                          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                            Jilly

Don't ask ME! It is the "vernacular pronunciation of the name Urquhart".

All I know is that speaking the Scottish requires a lot of throat clearing noises when you reach a consonant, lol!

OC
                            :D :D :D But Urquhart is an easy one OC....

Urrkut but sort of don't really pronounce the Tee :D
                            With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Oooh thanks Kate (I expect Jilly is breathing a sigh of relief!! pmsl)

Guess what? I asked OH about this before I put the thread up. He knew nothing.

Now he suddenly knows all about it!!

Never listens :(:(

Comment

pmsl!!!

well as it happens Merry...I've literally just arranged a wee visit into Reg House......for the 21st January so gies a wee list and i'll see wot i can do lolol

Comment

Shaz

Wikipedia says the pronunciation of Urquhart is "urrkur". Orchiston is possibly a very early attempt to translate the Gaelic equivalent into English???

Wait a minute, I'll go and get the ref..
                                  Family Tree Maker's Genealogy Site: User Home Pages: THE ORCHISON FAMILY

(ooh, got a nasty shock - my post above is the first hit now, lol)
                                  OC
                                  Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 10-01-08, 23:25. Reason: info

Comment

Merry, bear in mind that the stuff after various dates (depending on whether it is a B, an M or a D that you want) isn't available online, so you might still need Jilly's services! I especially like that bit about consular births where they are only available after 1914 but only up to 1907.

Apparently Scotland's People are going to make the indexes for all BMD's (presumably including the Minor Records) available online some time (not sure when) so that you will be able to look for index entries for any date, it will then just be the actual certs that you can't get online for events after those various dates.
                                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

OH has found one match in the minor records!! That may be all there is, Jilly......but thank you so much for the offer...................

Comment

Kate.....just read your post.....maybe I'll send Jilly a list in any case? She probably needs to be kept busy!!?? pmsl!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X