Australian Death Certificates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Death Certificates

I have a death certificate 1860 Kyneton, Victoria which gives in the end column the names of 6 children of the deceased.

Now can anyone tell me is that only the names of the living children or all the children.

Reason I ask is that on the Scottish 1851 census I have a "son" Alexander age 15 which is the only time I've found him mentioned. So did he exist?

Also there were 2 sons William b1841 and Robert who went to Australia but which one!!!! Robert with Williams age is on the ships passenger list and his father's death certificate.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

I think the Australian death cert (transcriptions) I've seen specify still living or not.

On the other hand, people can report only what they know about. If a child died very early and Wasn't Mentioned, then they wouldn't know to include the name. Likewise, if the child had been Banned (i.e. a big family split) for some reason.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Of the 6 children mentioned

1 stayed in Scotland
      2 went to New Zealand
      3 went with him to Australia - although one subsequently went to New Zealand.

The youngest daughter married and stayed in Australia but Robert/William I don't have a clue about.

Was wondering if this Alexander was a relative or not and if he emigrated too.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

JBee it will depend on what the infromant knew, but they usually will put "living" or "dead" beside the children. Certainly if the informant knew it would be there. It was and still is, one of the questions asked for Qld and NSW, and I have it on a Vic cert from about that time.

Comment

If you want to put the names up, I can check the AVRI for you.

Comment

Thanks Libby

Daniel Shaw died May 1860 in E Kyneton, Victoria

On the death certificate it doesn't say anyone else is deceased just the 6 children with their ages but only 3 went to Australia.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find out what happened to

His wife Ann/Agnes Shaw nee Blue/Blew born 1823 Rothesay, Bute, Scotland (assuming she was still alive in 1860)

Or son Robert Shaw age 17 (but didn't find a christening for him only William who was born in 1841 so still confused whether it was Robert or William that emigrated).

His daughter Jane Shaw age 14 in 1860 married Robert Strachan Stuart in 1869 in Smeaton, Victoria. In the paper it said she married from her brother's house but was that Neil (who ultimately went to NZ) or Robert?

Comment

JBee................searched everywhere on AVRI and found the following. Probably no more than you had.

Found Jane's marriage, but you have that. Found the following children for her:
              Agnes 1872, Catherine Jane 1874. Mt Prospect, Vic.

There are marriages for an Agnes Shaw in 1864, 1876 ansd 1876, if your Agnes could have remarried after Daniel died.

If you think any of that is useful pm me and I'll have another look. If you have the older lot's maiden names it might make it easier. They may have used them later.

Comment

Thanks Libby

I thought Agnes must have died or remarried and stayed in Australia where her only child Jane married.

The older ones were her step-children - I know Neil went to NZ where his elder sisters and some aunts and uncles emigrated to.

Only one I don't know (besides Agnes) is Robert/William but he too may have gone to NZ.

Just have to hope one of their descendants starts researching one day!!!!

Thanks for looking

Comment

JBee.....there are a few deaths for Williams and a couple for Roberts, but nothing to go on as they all had father "unknown".
                  It would cost a fortune to buy certs on the off chance. I've jotted them down in case I find them.

Comment

Much appreciated Libby.

No I agree its not worth spending a lot of money searching loads of records for these little twigs. Thankfully OH is descended from the only one of Daniel's children, that I know of, that lived and stayed in Scotland (Flora).

Think she must have fallen out with her family as none of her children are named after her side of the family but followed the scottish naming pattern with only her husbands family and even his step mothers family get a mention.

Thanks again

Comment

JBee, I have at least two instances of Australian death certs where the information re the children was incorrect...the first, in 1898,where the informant was the maternal grandfather, had wrong names, but correct ages.

The second, in 1922,was a son informing on his father's death, and he provided incorrect ages for his own sisters....mind you, the girls were in Canada and he had not seen them for quite a while. Typical man

Beverley

Comment

Working...
                      X