English death certs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English death certs??

I'm assuming these give very little information. Could someone please tell me?

My daughter died in England so I should know but I can't drag out her death cert to look.

I have no need to research English Documents but the reason I am asking is because I seen it mentioned in a book that You can't get further back with a Death Certificate.

My 11yr old daughter (bless her) bought me a book for xmas, it's about tracing the family tree in England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland

However I think it should just say tracing in England and Wales and really feel that anyone with Scottish heritage could be misled, unless of course the book is wrong and English death certs do give good info which can help a person to go back??
    With Experience comes Realisation

Have a look here Shaz...under the death certs bit

England & Wales Registration Certificate Tutorials

Comment

There is some info in the wiki which should help
      Elaine

Comment

English Welsh death certs are not helpful like Scots ones, but to say they CANNOT help you get further back isn't always fair!

However, there's no specific "box" that is going to request specific info from an earlier generation.

Comment

English death certs (like any cert) are only as reliable and informative as the Informant and her/his information.

They usually give name, age at death, cause of death, (and who certified it), residence at death, occupation.
          There's the informant's name, and possible relationship, or occupation, and residence.

Unlike Australian certs, for instance, there's no ancestry given.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Merry & Elaine

Basically it's as I thought..... whilst the book title gives the impression that it will help the scots in tracing their tree it really should just be for English and Welsh :D

I can see why it would be difficult to get further back with the help of an English or Welsh death cert now.

They should still have pointed out that Scotland is different and 'Can' help to go further back.
            Scottish death certs have loads of info, sadly not as much as Australian ones, but lots more info all the same

To think some poor person of Scottish heritage, may be starting out on their tree with this book in hand, will not be in a hurry to look up deaths as they are led to believe the info is minimal.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
              English death certs (like any cert) are only as reliable and informative as the Informant and her/his information.

They usually give name, age at death, cause of death, (and who certified it), residence at death, occupation.
              There's the informant's name, and possible relationship, or occupation, and residence.

Unlike Australian certs, for instance, there's no ancestry given.

Christine
              See Scottish certs give name, date and time of death, age at death, cause of death (and who certified it) place of death and usual residence if different.
              Marital status and name of Spouse.
              Name of Parents, including their occupation and mothers maiden name (and any other names she may have had) and whether they are alive or not.

Informant of death. relationship to the deceased and their adress if different to that of deceased.

Comment

I should have added that they do give date of death - but nothing like as much info as the Scottish ones.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Info on Scottish certs does differ from one time period to another, again accuracy depends on the informants' knowledge but there are some really useful snippets that can appear.

----------
                  1855-1860
                  Doctor: when last saw deceased alive

Burial: Place and name of undertaker

-----------
                  1855 Only
                  Details of the deceased included this additional information:

Place of birth

How long in the district

The name and age of any surviving children or death details of children who died before their parents

--------

Odds and Ends
                  Details of the deceased were changed as follows:

Date of birth 1966 to date

Duration of disease 1855-1964

Spouse details were recorded as follows:

Name of spouse 1855 and then 1861 to present

Informant details were recorded as follows:

Residence of informant 1855-1965 then 1972 to present

----------

The above info is contained in the certificate tutorials in our very own wiki.
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                  My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                  My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I have files full of them Glen :D as a matter of fact, at this rate I'm going to be able to start up my own Scotlands People site with all the documents I have :D

Also from 1855 to 1860 the place of burial and undertakers name was on the cert

Comment

Snap

----------
                      1855-1860
                      Doctor: when last saw deceased alive

Burial: Place and name of undertaker
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Shaz

Sometimes an English death cert can give you a clue, but unless the death is a child (in which case the father's details are given) then you don't usually get information about generations further back.
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                          Shaz

Sometimes an English death cert can give you a clue, but unless the death is a child (in which case the father's details are given) then you don't usually get information about generations further back.
                          Thanks Nell.... I guess that you could always take a chance on age and attempt to find a birth but only if the name is a less common one?

I really feel for those of you who have to spend a fortune on your research.

Comment

I think recent certificates give the date of birth, whereas older ones just give the age.
                            Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

Comment

Shaz, there are loads of books about tracing your family history which concentrate on England and Wales and then have a couple of pages about Scotland (and even less about Ireland). It is really annoying, isn't it? I have one on my reference shelf next to the computer, and whenever I look Scotland up in it I find I'm wasting my time and have to resort to Google!

I wonder whether anybody has brought one out that does have proper info on all the countries of the UK and Ireland in the one book?
                              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                Shaz, there are loads of books about tracing your family history which concentrate on England and Wales and then have a couple of pages about Scotland (and even less about Ireland). It is really annoying, isn't it? I have one on my reference shelf next to the computer, and whenever I look Scotland up in it I find I'm wasting my time and have to resort to Google!

I wonder whether anybody has brought one out that does have proper info on all the countries of the UK and Ireland in the one book?
                                I know its the same with family history magazines... they all focus more on just England and Wales with the odd little bit about Ireland thrown in every now and then. Even when I go home I look out for books and magazines that are more 'Scottish research orientated' mind you then I'm deadly because I don't find them but spend a fortune on other books which do help with the history of various places north of the border and sometimes they help sadly not always.

Comment

Whilst it is true to say that scottish death certs can get you back further, and I know that the death cert for my g father who died in Glasgow was able to give me his birth date and birth place many miles from Glasgow, and helped me to pinpoint the right Gibson by giving his wife's name as well, I would say that English death certs are always worth getting, because they are so unpredictable, and you never know what gems of information will appear or not appear! On one death cert I had not only an address but his age which corresponded with that of his baptism date and his Regiment as well as the cert signed by a son in law giving me his daughter's married name. In one fell swoop I had exactly what I wanted, for which I had been searching for a few years. So do not give up on English Death certs!

Janet

Comment

Working...
                                  X