Boo-hoo. Brick wall getting higher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boo-hoo. Brick wall getting higher

I thought i might just find something useful from my latest batch of death certs but nothing useful at all.

No unknown folks acting as informants, no new addresses to look into and no help whatsoever when it comes to the mystery grandson for my grt g/m. I have been able to confirm one mistranscribed rellie in 1871 because of the death cert from 1879 but that just gives me my first confirmed imbecile.

About the only good thing to discover is the average lifespan in my tree now is 50 years 0 months, a slight improvement on the 48 and a bit i had before the certs arrived.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Oh dear, Glen

Commiserations!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Doesn't that mean the brick wall is still the same size, rather than getting higher??

Comment

smarty pants, the bricks are just getting bigger then.

I'm beggining to think this mystery lad was adopted, i just can't seem to discover where he came from or when exactly. He just "appears" via a will from 1956.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

No, Merry, I can see it getting bigger . and bigger and ....
          Joy

Comment

lol Joy!

I've just looked at the average age of death on my tree and it's 51.04 years :o

I have the most number of deaths between 70 and 79, followed by between 80 and 89.

Comment

That's very disappointing, Glen.

I suppose that sort of risk is why people tend not to get death certs. And yet, when they work out, they can be so useful.

Better luck next time!

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Checks Glen's and Merry's year of birth ..... oh dear oh dear oh dear
                Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Joy Dean View Post
                  Checks Glen's and Merry's year of birth ..... oh dear oh dear oh dear
                  :(:(:(:(

Comment

Sits smugly as the younger of the twosome

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Checks mine oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear
                      :(

:D
                      Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                        Sits smugly as the younger of the twosome
                        :(

Originally posted by Joy Dean View Post
                        Checks mine oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear

:o:D

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                          That's very disappointing, Glen.

I suppose that sort of risk is why people tend not to get death certs. And yet, when they work out, they can be so useful.

Better luck next time!

Christine

For some reason i have more death certs than anything else, i started with the death certs for several babies then went for their birth certs.

I tend to find these "forgotten" youngsters (especially from larger families) don't get entered in my shared trees but i have always found the addresses and causes of death quite revealing.

One from this batch shows a young woman (aged 26) dying from TB just 18 months after her marriage, nothing too startling but at least it adds something to the history for her hubby (my blood rellie).

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Glen

I rather like death certs too and though they don't often add much to my research progress, they do make my relatives seem more like real people.

I sent for the death cert of one of my 2 x GGMs. I was pretty sure the death was childbirth related, but wasn't prepared for how I felt when I read the words "unstoppable haemorrhage, 3 days, consequent on childbed". She was barely 34 and this was her eleventh pregnancy.

The other which gave me nightmares for weeks, was a 2 x GGF who died of cancer of the throat and tonge(sic). I can only imagine how dreadful was his end, in 1898, with no palliative treatment available.

OC

Comment

The first one i ever sent for was for my grandfather (1943), signed by my g/m just hours after she saw him die suddenly from a brain haemorrhage. It's a scanned copy of the register and her signature is so shaky you can really see the sorrow and emotion in those five letters.

When you see the same letters on a birth cert you can see the flourish of joy in the signature, funny how a signature can tell a story depending on circumstance.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

My average lifespan- 58 years, 318 days

obviously not me though, in me tree...lol
                                Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                  Glen

I rather like death certs too and though they don't often add much to my research progress, they do make my relatives seem more like real people.

The other which gave me nightmares for weeks, was a 2 x GGF who died of cancer of the throat and tonge(sic). I can only imagine how dreadful was his end, in 1898, with no palliative treatment available.

OC
                                  Amongst the family history records hoarded by my (wonderful!) late MiL was a letter from a relation in Australia which included some significant references to his mother's death from throat cancer. It was clearly a horrendous experience even in 1983.

Christine
                                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine

Yes....my brother and I just hoped someone had the mercy to pour a bottle of whisky down his throat, or laudanum...doubt it, though, as he died in a lodging house.

OC

Comment

Quite a few of my older rellies had cancer in one form or another, an aunt died of "breast cancer, exhaustion" back in 1917, two died to throat cancer in the 1920's and my birth mother suffered the same in the 1990's.

Looking at the photograph of her just a month or two before she died shows a very old looking sixty something year old woman.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

One of my saddest death certs is for a 2x g.grandmother. It states she was found dead on the floor and after a post mortem, it was found she had died from fatty degeneration of the heart.

Comment

Working...
                                        X