Can anyone find this marriage please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone find this marriage please?

Benjamin Joseph AYRE and Caroline (Pedder) shown as wife on 1891 census living 42 Whitfield Road East Ham

Caroline Gibbins b 1837 Uxbridge died 1896
    31/7/1855 married George Dennison
    June 1875 married James Pedder

1881 census living with James Pedder (shown as Perdern) 1 Florence Road West Ham

Benjamin Joseph Ayre b8/12/1836 Greenwich died 1917 West Ham
    1861 married Eleanora Dove - widowed 1878

So some time after 1881 Benjamin & Caroline supposed to have married but I have searched and searched but cannot find it.

any help gratefully received
    will be back shortly!
    Last edited by jean; 10-01-08, 18:18.
    Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

I don't have time to look, but did James Pedder die?

Maybe they pretended to be married because james pedder was still alive?

Comment

I wanted to get James Pedder's details from the 1881 census, but I can't find anyone indexed as Perdern nor anyone with their names at 1 Florence Road, in West Ham.

Could you tell me when and where he was born?
      Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 10-01-08, 18:57.

Comment

HI
        have checked 1881 1885 cannot see them got to now as kids are starting to play up sorry

Laura

Comment

Sorry cant find it yet, will take another look later..

]

Comment

I've seen from the marriage that James was "James Thomas G Pedder".

I thought this might help me to find either a birth or death for him or an entry for him on another census, but it didn't!

Comment

Ah!! Found them! It was East Ham not West Ham and the surname was Perden!!

Comment

Hmmmm.....well now I know how old he is, I can't see a death for him - all the ones of the right sort of age seem to be able to be eliminated by looking at the census records inc the 1881. I also can't see a death for him (with just the one forename) after 1891 either.

So, if he didn't die before 1891 that might explain why Caroline didn't marry her new "husband".

On the other hand, was James Pedder actually free to marry Caroline in the first place? He doesn't seem to exist before the 1881 census............

Comment

Hi Merry

James Pedder is a bit of a mystery - on marriage cert to Caroline he is a bachelor living St James Holloway and a labourer. on census he says he was born Uxbridge but have looked at St Margaret Uxbridge, St Johns Hillingdon & Hayes parish records and haven't found him nor can I find his death.

As for Carolines marriage to Benjamin, I believe this was a sham as Lydia shown as granddaughter was infact Benjamins illegitamate daughter with Carolines daughter. He did later adopt her.

I also have the problem that on each of Carolines marriage cert she gives father different name - but thats a whole new problem to explore:(
                  The whole family is getting me down
                  Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

It does seem that people like this are drawn together, only compounding the problem!!

Comment

Just had a thought, on Carolines death cert she is Ayre?? maybe changed name by deed poll? can I find that out?
                      Jean

Comment

More likely she just lied! (well, not her....she was dead, but you know what I mean!!). I don't think there's any central record of deed poll changes. My rellie put a notice in The Times newspaper, but I think that was fairly unusual. Of course it might have cost a fair bit.......

Comment

Working...
                        X