George Newton died 28 Jan 1836

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Newton died 28 Jan 1836

George Newton died in a pit explosion at the Eppleton Colliery,Durham on 28 Jan 1836 and reports of the event stated his age as 39.

Having searched on the IGI for George Newtons born in Durham county between 1796 and 1798 I find only four. One is at Hart,one at Auckland St Andrew,one at Aycliffe and the other at Cockfield.

All of them seem quite a distance from Houghton le Spring where he married Ann Watson in 1823.

I have been attempting to trace the occupations of the four fathers in the hope that would provide clue as George was reported by his son (on the son's marriage record) to be a blacksmith.

Now I wonder if he might not have been a blacksmith at all if he was working down a mine. Could a blacksmith be employed in any capacity to do with the winding gear?

Can anyone help me to solve this puzzle?

Penna

Many collieries had their own blacksmith - to mend machinery and shoe the horses.

So I wouldn't rule him out on those grounds alone...

OC

Comment

Of course. For some reason I had forgotten that in those days they used ponies down the mines!.

In the Downs Pit,where the explosion occurred, the men still used candles for lighting rather than the recently introduced Davey Lamps as they felt that candles gave a brighter light. It is hardly imaginable today.

So I'll try to search for he parents of all four Georges and then trace the parish registers if I can. That way I might find the occupations of the fathers.

Penna.

Comment

Sorry if this puts a spanner in the works, but how do you know he was born in County Durham?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
          Sorry if this puts a spanner in the works, but how do you know he was born in County Durham?
          And even if he was born in the county, what if he came from somewhere that's not on the IGI?

Comment

Thanks to both of you. I am assuming that he came from Co Durham because until his son emigrated in abt 1869 the Newton clan all stayed within the Durham pits area and worked underground in some way.

I realise that there are records NOT on the IGI and have attempted to find earlier parish records. Unfortunately the earliest parish records for the churches where they lived are not available on CD,fiche or online as far as can find out.

They are at the Records Office in Newcastle but I live in Sussex.

Maybe someone on this forum knows of a record publisher for the area? I have just joined the NDFHS.

Penna

Comment

Could you get to an LDS Family History Centre? These are the Sussex ones

Crawley England
              Old Horsham Road
              Crawley, West Sussex, England
              Phone: 44 (0) 129-351 6151
              Hours: T-Th 10am-12:30pm, 1:30pm-4pm; Th 7pm-9pm; 1st & 3rd Sat 10am-12:30pm

Hastings England
              2 Ledsham Avenue
              St. Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex, England
              Phone: 44 (0) 142-475 4563
              Hours: M, T, W, F 10am-12pm; T 7pm-9pm; Th 3.30pm-5.30pm, 7.30pm-9pm

Worthing England
              Goring Street
              Worthing, West Sussex, England
              Phone: 44 (0) 190-324 1829
              Hours: M, W, F 10.30am-12.30pm; 1st W 7pm-9pm

Comment

Working...
              X