Question about Pallotts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Pallotts

I was just looking up a marriage on Pallots and for the first time I've seen a line claiming to be the residence of the couple, but what on earth does "Hamlet M.E.N.T." mean? the parish is Stepney, St Dunstan the year 1796, Any ideas?
    Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Hi Sue,

I think it is Mile End New Town.

Barbara

Comment

I think Barbara is right:

EoLFHS Parishes: Mile End

Lucky you! Pallot's usually doesn't give much more than a date, church and names.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I was lucky with Pallot's recently, too, because it actually gave the husband's occupation (it said he was in the Royal Artillery, which presumably explains what he was doing in Kent, when he should have been in Leicester). I'd seen the same marriage several times on the IGI, and discounted it, but it's looking like it may be the right one.

Comment

Well I never, that would fit! I've just never seen anything like it before.

Thanks
          Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

It's solved a real mystery for me, because that Richard Pool from Leicester married a Letitia, and I had another Richard Pool, 20 years younger, born in Deal, Kent, but living in Leicester, with a daughter Letitia. I was sure they must be related, but I couldn't see how. The second Letitia was the mother-in-law of my grandfather's sister, whose great-grandfather was the older Richard Pool. So (if you can follow all that) it looks as though my grandfather's sister actually married her second cousin.

Comment

My husband's gt gt grandfather John Ledger remarried after his first wife died. 2nd wife was Letitia Bethell. Letitia's sister Mary was married to a Henry Mullins and their daughter Emily Mullins (Letitia's niece) married John's son William by his first wife.
              I was so confused when I found this out that I had to draw out a tree to work it out!

I vaguely remember my m-i-l (gt granddaughter of William & Emily) mentioning "Letitia Ledger" as an example of a lovely sounding name, but I didn't take much notice. I wish I'd listened as she may have had some further information about her!
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Here's another one.....Where on earth do you think Rat is? and Spouse's comments 142?

Name: Chas Allington
                Residence: Rat
                Comment: Sd;Sic;or Ellington
                Spouse: Ann Hokeman
                Spouse's Residence: Rat
                Spouse Comments: 142
                Marriage Date: 1794
                Parish: Stepney St Dunstan
                Sue x

Comment

Did you look at the image to see if it makes more sense on there? Not got time to load it now as it's past my bedtime!
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Might be Ratcliff, St. James.

GENUKI: Stepney Parishes in 1903

Comment

I think it says on the image "Ann Hokeman s x", which presumably means she was a spinster and made her mark. I can't see the number 142 anywhere.
                      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 13-01-08, 23:55.

Comment

Rat is Ratcliffe which is a few minutes walk from Hamlet
                        Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Looking at the image, it says "Allington Chas. b. (Both Rat.)" with the A of Allington underlined. Underneath it says "(sd) (sic) or Ellington" b means bachelor, and I think sd means that he signed his name rather than making his mark. The "sic" probably means "yes, it does say Allington on the original", but maybe his name is spelt in two different ways on the marriage entry?

(The corresponding entry indexed under Hokeman gives the groom's name as Chas Ellington (sd Allington) so I believe it means that the marriage entry says "Chas Ellington" at the top but the signature says Chas Allington.)

Then "= Ann Hokeman s. x". s will mean spinster, and I think the x means she made her mark with an x.

ST DUNSTAN STEPNEY 1794.

142 is at the bottom and is some kind of index number - perhaps the number of the entry in the parish register or something?

I agree with Mary, "Both Rat" probably means they both lived in Ratcliff.
                          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Sorry not to have been around for a while......... But as ever you seem to have come up trumps, where would I be without you????

Ratcliffe???I'd never heard of even though I'm an East End girl.

Thanks so much
                            Sue x

Comment

Whats "Pallots" please :o

Jacky xx
                              Jacky

Comment

tilly
                                Pallots marriage index

its a marriage index- pre civil registation, mainly London area though ( not all but most)
                                Jess

Comment

Thanks Jess,

I learn something new everyday...........Lol

Jacky x :D
                                  Jacky

Comment

Working...
                                  X