Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada

Ok so after my Irish question can someone please tell me how hard it is to research Canada please. This family seem to come from everywhere even Indiana i thought that was just from movies lol.
    Thankyou in advance.
    Jen

It depends what you are looking for and when, but some census records are online and I had luck using this site.

Search the Canadian Census | MetaFilter
    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

I have had some excellent help from the Saskatchewan archives people. They were able to locate a land grant and gave me all sorts of info. They also posted me (gratis) a census page (unfortunately the enumerator's pen was blunt and their photocopy was no better than the image I had from Ancestry). But it's the thought that counts.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

If you're looking in British Columbia, I can do look-ups of the BMDs fiche at the library. The indices can be found here:
        VITAL EVENT INDEXES - BC ARCHIVES
        Jenny

Comment

Or you can post who you are looking for and someone on forum maybe able to help you.
          WendyP

Comment

Thankyou everyone. I am not sure exactly what i am looking for at the moment i have Vina Fay Wray (famous actress in King Kong) and trying to look at her tree as it ties in with my Hattons!!! There are a few public trees so will have a look at those. Will have a look at your links. Thankyou all again.
            Jen

Comment

There may be something useful for you here:

Canadian libraries also operate the Ask a Librarian scheme and they can be very helpful.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I too need to be able to do some recent Canadian lookups but have no idea where to look or which province.

OH's cousin Mary was a WW2 War Bride who's husband came from Toronto - She'd be 83 now if still alive. Think I found the husband's memorial inscription on one site which was in the wiki but not the wife.

Also his cousin Peter emigrated in 1950's with his wife and daughter (don't know if there were other children) to Canada - he'd be 88 now but his daughter early 60's.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
                X