Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woo-Hoo!! Brick wall down, but what does this say?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woo-Hoo!! Brick wall down, but what does this say?

Four years ago we were chatting to a friend and he wanted to know where his middle name came from.

We traced his tree back for him but came to a dead end when we found his g-grandfather was born in Ceylon.....the middle name was still a middle name and that's where we left it!

Today we got an email from someone descended from a sibling of the man born in Ceylon. They had found us as a google search had turned up a Q my OH had asked on a forum in 2003 about the Ceylon connection. Their ancestor had the sense to marry in Scotland not England like our chap, so the additional marriage info they gave us has enabled us to go back another three or four generations, including discovering the origin of the "middle name"!!

BUT......I have a marriage record from Scotlands People (first time I have used it today!!) ....I can read the whole page easily except one word!! Can you make out the occupation of James Orchiston??

Here's the whole marriage entry (1807):

and here's the occupation bit:

Pity our friend isn't answering his phone :(

It is obvious ....

It is Feuer in Abd~~~~~~~~~
    Let's re-arrange the deck-chairs

Comment

LOL The last bit is "in Aberdeen"

So that's where he did the feuering!!

Comment

Could it be Ferur / Fever as in Blacksmith / Farrier?

Comment

It looks like feuer, but I can't think what it could be. Jeuer, teuer - nothing recognisable anyway. Sorry!
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Try this : RootsWeb: ABERDEEN-L Re: [ABERDEEN] Feuer

Comment

Could it be Sewer (as in one who sews, not where the waste water goes)?

Tim
              "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Oooh, nice one Mark!

Thanks everyone

Comment

I see the witnesses were a Druggist and a Shoemaker.

Is Feuer perhaps a colloquial term for some sort of shopkeeper?
                  Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

*Sings quietly*

I helped Merry! I helped Merry!

Comment

It looks like an 'S' to me. I thought sewerman until you said the last bit was probably Aberdeen. Agree with that.

Anne

Comment

:(:(:(

Comment

Feuar .... A holder of lands granted for services
                          Fever .... A blacksmith.

These are from

Victorian Occupations - Job Titles in the 19th Century

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Pssst (I think it means "Confuser of the Holden Clan")
                            Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

*smacks Grampa*

Feu, as in feudal. Simple, isn't it.

Orchiston, eh.... I have a strong feeling that Orchiston is a variation of Urquhart (no, I don't understand either).

If I am right - and I'll check in a minute - welcome to Clan Urquhart, Merry! One of the Urquharts (eccentric important man) has done a pedigree for the Urquharts which goes back to Adam and Eve, I kid you not, and he has "proved" that Urquhart meant Adam 60 million years ago.

OC

Comment

I think it looks like a T - if you look at the name Thomas and compare.

So T...

;)

Maggie

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                  *smacks Grampa*

Feu, as in feudal. Simple, isn't it.

Orchiston, eh.... I have a strong feeling that Orchiston is a variation of Urquhart (no, I don't understand either).

If I am right - and I'll check in a minute - welcome to Clan Urquhart, Merry! One of the Urquharts (eccentric important man) has done a pedigree for the Urquharts which goes back to Adam and Eve, I kid you not, and he has "proved" that Urquhart meant Adam 60 million years ago.

OC
                                  Stop it OC :(

Our friend's middle name is Orcheston.

James Orchiston had a dau who married our friend's surname and they produced a line of sons leading to our friend, and that's all I need to know!!!

He will be pleased as punch. Before all this he didn't know he had Scottish ancestors (he's from Luton!). He just knew Orcheston St George and Orcheston St Mary are villages in Wiltshire and so thought he might come from there! How wrong can you be?!!!

Comment

could it be teaching?in aberdeen?brenda xxx

Comment

Originally posted by Grampa Jim View Post
                                      I see the witnesses were a Druggist and a Shoemaker.

Is Feuer perhaps a colloquial term for some sort of shopkeeper?
                                      A Feuar is a Landholder who pays a Fee to the overlord
                                      With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

*wonders why everyone is resisting it being FEUER? A very common Scottish description!*

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X