Grrr! And why we need to walk the streets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grrr! And why we need to walk the streets

It has taken me a long time to find gg gran’s sister. On Free BDM surname mistranscribed. Baxter instead of Buxton On ancestry married name transcribed (Mayse instead of Mayne). Somebody has kindly submitted a maiden name for this lady – again wrong- Bunton instead of Buxton. Luckily lady’s mother is there with correct name-Buxton.

After all this, if I’d only bothered to stroll down the street a bit when I found gg gran five years ago, I would have found them living about 5 doors away – just goes to show we need to walk the streets a bit to find missing rellies.
    CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Taffyfrog

I do this almost routinely now - have a stroll up and down the street and sometimes round the corner too, lol!

It very often pays off and I find a straggler with a granny or an aunt etc.

Only yesterday I found a missing relative round the corner from her grown up children. She was hidden as "Widow" (first name) but her unmarried daughter was there too, who had a most unusual first name, which had been wildly mistranscribed by Ancestry - never would have found either of them by searching in the usual way.

OC

Comment

I agree, its only since I've had an Ancestry sub that I've been able to do this and it also helps to place them if they live in an un-numbered village when you can see they are 3 doors from the pub, or next door to the vicarage.

Comment

It's worth reporting transcription errors to Free BMD and to Ancestry - FreeBMD will correct the errors (unless they're in the original) and Ancestry will at least flag alternate names as you mentioned.

BTW, did you find out who submitted the 'incorrect correction' (i.e., maiden name Bunton)? You might be able to put them on the right path if they believe that this woman was one of their ancestors.

Just a thought -

Tim
        "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Ancestry does have the facility to check the pages before and after and I used to do this when looking at microfilm census returns at the FRC before I got my Ancestry sub. Even if you don't find any relatives or future marriage partners it gives you a good idea of the makeup of the street - how crowded the accommodation was and the occupations etc. All helps to add to the picture of your ancestors' lives.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

And OC, let's not forget to walk back up the other side of the street.

Canadian cousin - yes I submit corrections but sometimes feel I'm doing the work for ancestry - especially when the names are perfectly clear on the original Think we should get some sort of freebie. How do you find out who submitted information ?

Comment

I often look through the whole Enumeration District and when I'm feeling particularly nerdy, try some of the others

It was very exciting to find my gt gran, before marriage and not long arrived from Scotland, was living just streets away from where gt granpa was working in London.

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I found some relatives buried in the grave yard in the road where I live. How you may ask? ...Following information from distant relative in Australia.
                Anne

Comment

Tim

I spend at least half of my time on Ancestry submitting corrections!

"Someone" - maybe Ancestry themselves - has gone through and cleverly entered alternative names, for married daughters living with a parent, etc. Unfortunately, this doesn't always work - it ASSUMES the daughter's maiden name is the same as her parents.

Quite often it isn't, if the mother has remarried and it can be very misleading.

I also got in a paddy today with Ancestry - I previously found my Mary McWilliam Don without any probs - but could I find her again today??? I finally took out all info except her name and there she was.

The reason my proper search didn't find her is because there is a space (transcribed) between the Mc and the William bit of her name!

OC

Comment

Does anyone use findmypast? Are the indexes any better on there?

Comment

Rachel, If you think you are nerdy - I have transcribed the whole lot for some small villages - then I went to the IGI and added the baptisms and marriages. It does give you a good idea of who is related to whom.

Diane
                      Diane
                      Sydney Australia
                      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Dicole

When I've transcribed a pre 1837 register I sometimes think I would love to have the time and resources to produce a 'village' tree of their descendants from the census

Comment

*Holds up hand to nerddom*

Yep, I've done this too...transcribed a whole parish, start to finish, done trees and am busy now topping it off with census and bmds!

OC

Comment

doffs cap in admiration

How long did that take? bet you were/will be tempted to move on to next village after that

Comment

Taffyfrog

Years! And, um, I am half way through another village, too.
                              Sad, or what?

OC

Comment

I only used the word 'nerdy' as a wind-up :p :D

(feeling awestruck)

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
                                  I often look through the whole Enumeration District and when I'm feeling particularly nerdy, try some of the others [/FONT]
                                  And you still find the time to write bodice-rippers for FTF? :D:D
                                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                                    And you still find the time to write bodice-rippers for FTF? :D:D
                                    ;)

Comment

Rachel :D:D:D

Can I join the nerdy club? I recently walked the streets of Colsterworth for 50 years (well, five censuses) and saved every occurrence of my Clayton, Foster and Kelly families. In hindsight I wish I had saved every page, there were only upto about 29 for each year. Can't motivate myself to go back and do it though.
                                      Rose

Comment

Working...
                                      X