Right - it's a Wright question:)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right - it's a Wright question:)

John Edward Wright. This is him in 1901 28 years old, born Walthamstow and living in Lowestoft, married to Rosa with 4 children.
    RG13 - Piece 1805 -Folio 20 - Page 32
    He always said he was born in Waltamstow and I have found what I believe to be his birth Jan-March 1974 W.Ham 4a 102 (W.Ham covers Walthamstow)

The search for James (and sister Emma) and their parents.

Now comes the difficult bit. Finding out his parentage. Any living or recently deceased descendants that knew the family all say that he had an older brother James and that when John and James were young teenagers they were thrown out and told to look after themselves. They both made their way to Lowestoft where John became a fisherman and James worked on the railway. James wife was Jane and they had 4 children Gwen, Olive, Donald and Bob. (Everyone mentioned is deceased by the way).

They also say that there was a sister Emma who they believe emigrated to Autralia around 1911 - 1917 approx. There are 4 Emma Wrights emigrating during this time but it doesn't help much as she may have been married and I wouldn't know which one she was anyway

One living relative remembers being taken as a child to visit 'James' and wife Jane at 4 Osborne Road Lowestoft but that would have been about 1925.
    She was also taken to visit a married couple on Thurston Street and the man was a cobbler.

I have found a William J Wright ages 26 on 1901 at 12 Thurlston Road born in Colchester but he is married to Catherine and a fish buyer. His birth ref is probably William James Wright April-June 1875 - Colchester 4a 329

My problem - I can't find James and unless I can find another birth cert with the same mother and 'hopefully' father that corresponds with the John Edward I have found, finding the parents earlier will be impossible.

Think that's about the size of it lol.

UPDATE

For anyone who remembers this thread yesterday about the mysterious and impossible to find James, brother of John Wright. Just thought you might like to know that persistance pays off. After hours of trawling this morning, with the help of a few clues i.e. that he married a Jane and had a daughter Gwendoline who married about 1934, I finally found him. Well, to be precise, I found her Gwendolines marriage in 1937, then her birth in 1915 (gave me mmn) then the marriage in 1895 of James Wright to SARAH Jane Pittes. Marriage cert now on it's way)))))))))))
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 10-01-08, 17:01.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

The William J Wright appears to have married Catherine Perring March 1896 Mutford 4a 1115

Comment

Have you found the family on any earlier censuses? I would have thought that was the place to start?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oh, and getting that birth cert to see the parents' details would help!
        KiteRunner

Comment

Sorry, every time I'm about to get started looking I think of something else! You also need the marriage cert for his marriage to Rosa to make sure of his father's name and then you will know if the birth cert is the right one when you get it.
          KiteRunner

Comment

That's the problem though Kite. On the marriage certificate he doesn't give a fathers name. He apparently didn't seem to know his parents names (which seems odd if he was a teenager when he left. The birth cert won't help unless I can find a likely one for James as well, to check that I have the right reference for John Edward. I am waiting for a reply from W.Ham at the moment to see if they can supply the birth cert though.

Comment

I would approach this by finding the marriages to Rosa and Jane if I could.

This would at least give you an idea of the fathers names that they are both giving and confirm if they were in fact brothers and not just cousins who upped and moved together and over the years spun a tale about why the ended up in Lowestoft.
              Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

cross posting there.

have you attempted to find teh other marriage certificate (even if it means starting with finding the children to get a maiden name) to find out if he knew his fathers name?
                Zoe in London

Comment

I wonder if the electoral roll for Lowestoft in 1925 would help? Maybe it would give you their full names, anyway.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

The marriage cert for John to Rosa doesn't state a fathers name for John. I can't find a marriage for Jane to 'James'.

I am beggining to think this may be a lost cause as there is a John aged 7 and a James aged 10 in a Union school in Essex in 1881. There places of birth are given as not known. Maybe it's them.

I think you may be right, these family stories can be more hinderence than help sometimes:(

Comment

It could be that John was illegitimate but didn't want to tell his family so, and that's why he told the story about their father throwing them out.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Thats true Kite. Are they on A2A or something? I think you need an expensive subscription don't you?

Comment

I thought that too Kite That's why I shan't be sure about the birth cert from the reference I have found. Not without both certs (James as well).

Comment

Do you know any more about the other Wright children?

e.g. when they were born, if they married

It might solve it of answer a few questions to come at it from the other family and attempt to trace Olive/Gwen/Donald/Bob backwards from a marriage or something

Even an idea of ages might help find them in census to see what their father is saying about himself
                            Zoe in London

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                              It could be that John was illegitimate but didn't want to tell his family so, and that's why he told the story about their father throwing them out.
                              Of of course the opposite , in that

Dad flung them out, so they pretended he didnt exist when they married

still think Kates theory is more likely
                              Jess

Comment

Unfortunately Zoe even the children are a headache. I can't seem to find out how old they were likely to be, though some of their names seem quite 1900's i.e. Robert (Bob) and Donald. I understand that their two girls were a Gwen (I imagine Gwendoline) and an Olive. The only Gwendoline I can find born Mutford (i.e. Lowestoft) is Dec 1909 Gwendoline Olive M Wright. I wouldn't have thought they would name another one Olive.

I agree Jess.

Thanks all for your input. I have to go now. I think this is maybe going to be one of those that never gets solved.

Comment

as a railway worker are you sure his children would have been born in Lowestoft?

I know that doesn't make it easier at all, but there's a chance he had to move out of teh area for his job
                                  Zoe in London

Comment

Might be worth tracking down the records for that Union School. These records, if they still exist, can be surprisingly full and informative.

Being in a Union school sounds far more likely than two young lads wandering about and finishing up in Lowestoft, to me. Any sing of any female Wrights in a similar establishment, or even the same one if it was mixed?

OC

Comment

Sorry I didn't reply before to your question about A2A, Chrissie, if you mean the electoral roll then you would have to look it up at the record office or library for that area.
                                      KiteRunner

Comment

Sorry, had an appointment and had to dash.

Not sure of anything Zoe, though a relative knows that he was in the area in 1925 ish. By then he would have been middle aged though I imagine.

I thought that too OC but if it is John in the Union School I don't know how he knew that his name was John Edward Wright and born Walthamstow. The John Edward Wright birth I found seems to fit as well as I can't find that John Edward anywhere else but the one that I know is him in 1901. I couldn't find any female Wright in the same place. I shall see what I can find re any records on the Union School next.

Thanks again Kite. As it's Lowestoft I may have to incorporate that look up with a holiday.

I should tell you all that I don't think this is my family. I am only trying to sort it out because a grandson of John Edward contacted me because I have a John E born the same year and he has a brother James and a sister Emma. They were born around Islington etc though but I only know what happened to the sister Florence, so I was trying to eliminate them at the same time and somehow got roped into trying to sort out his tree.

I shall give him all the facts and leave it to him I think, though he doesn't seem to be very clued up. He says he has been searching for 5 years but he hadn't even found his grandfather in 1901.

Comment

Working...
                                        X