Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing in 1901? Could be here!

- Ancestry.co.uk

Page after page of people identified only by their initials. Sickening.
    Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Paul

Huh! Just have a look at Ancestry 1841 Scotland census and count the number of women with the first name "Widow" lol.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Barton, Special Agent View Post
      - Ancestry.co.uk

Page after page of people identified only by their initials. Sickening.

Paul, maybe the Staff or enumerator considered it unethical to name in full, the patients at a Sanatarium.

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      Paul

Huh! Just have a look at Ancestry 1841 Scotland census and count the number of women with the first name "Widow" lol.

OC
      OC, have you ever looked at the number of grooms on their transciptions of the Pallots Marriage Index who are indexed under the surnames Rev & Esq. ;):D
      Last edited by Lyn A; 08-01-08, 23:36.

Comment

Paul, it's standard practice for patients in asylums to be identified by initials only on the censuses, presumably for privacy reasons. I thought hospitals usually gave full names, though.

Comment

Go to any census on ancestry and put "Unknown" for name - you'll be amazed!
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I have seen some ordinary households where only Head's name is given in full and everyone else is listed by initials.

I think this reflects the householder's rage at the perceived unwarranted nosiness and intrusion of the census, and he has obviously "read the rules" thoroughly and is applying them!

OC

Comment

Working...
            X