Genealogy Sitebuilding Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genealogy Sitebuilding Software

I was wondering if anyone has experience with a program called TNG - The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding. Despite the rather awkward name, I’ve looked at a few sites that use this software, and have been very impressed.*

Rather than creating and storing a lot of individual Web pages, TNG produces them ‘on the fly’ using data from a GEDCOM file, as well as from any photos, videos, text files, etc…that you specify. There’s also a feature that pulls up a Google Map for your locations. One of the advantages to this approach is that you don’t need to build new pages or edit old ones when your research turns up new information – just upload an updated GEDCOM.

My main concern is that whatever provider you use to host your site has to have PHP (a scripting language) and MySQL (a database). According to the TNG Web site, you don’t need to know anything about PHP or MySQL, but “anything you do know will be a bonus.” Perhaps if someone on here has used this before, they could let me know how much technical know-how is required.

The company that produces TNG seems like a one-person operation, but that isn’t always a bad thing, and the price (US$29) is certainly quite reasonable. Again, any first-hand reports about technical support, etc... would be much appreciated.

Thanks –

Tim

* I should clarify that I’m impressed with the layout and presentation of the TNG sites I’ve looked at, if not always with their content. The demonstration on the company site includes a lot of ‘submitted’ LDS entries with ancestry going back to Adam and Eve, and some of the User Sites seem equally questionable. It’s like the acronym GIGO – garbage in, garbage out – not something that FTF members need to worry about :D .
    "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

I use it and so does Dark Secretz. I found it very straight forward to install and use and although I had a little knowledge of HTML that was about it - I signed up with Simply Hosting but didn't need their help as it was so easy to install and get it up and running. I did fiddle around with it to make my own front page and changed the style but otherwise didn't need to do anything else.

The link to my site is in my signature.

Last edited by Caroline; 08-01-08, 19:17.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Tim,

Darin's package really does suit the way I want things to look. I'm not very technical, but am learning little bits here and there.

My site is also TNG as Caroline says, and is also in my signature

the added bonus of course is that any minor bug fixes/upgrades are FREE I have just updated to the newest version, and am well chuffed with the results
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

We are in the process of migrating my Family Tree to it. Dave is the one who has the knowledge so I have left the technicalities to him.

I like the layout very much.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks Caroline and Julie. I had looked at the TNG Support Forums and some of the information seemed a bit technical. I'm somewhat familiar with HTML coding, but know nothing about PHP or SQL.

Given that there are least two people here who are using TNG, I feel a bit more confident about trying it.

Thanks again -

Tim
          "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Thanks to you as well, Wendy. The layouts are good aren't they?

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Cousin View Post
              Thanks Caroline and Julie. I had looked at the TNG Support Forums and some of the information seemed a bit technical. I'm somewhat familiar with HTML coding, but know nothing about PHP or SQL.

Given that there are least two people here who are using TNG, I feel a bit more confident about trying it.

Thanks again -

Tim
              You don't need to know anything about php as it will work "out of the box" but if you know a bit you can play around with it - having Dreamweaver was a great help as I worked out what each bit was doing.
              Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
              X