The free WORD program?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The free WORD program?

I seem to recall some time ago that someone had recommended a free download which was equivalent to MS Word - can anyone remember the name of it and has anyone tried it out please?

While Im here - can anyone recommend a program for producing invoices please.

OpenOffice.org: Home

I tried it out once, because I had a corrupt Word file that wouldn't open, and somebody told me to try OpenOffice. It opened the file beautifully, and works fine, but I went back to MS Office because I have to work on clients' files, and OO's formatting isn't quite 100% compatible with MS Office.

No idea about invoices, I'm afraid. I've created mine in Word so that they calculate the VAT and total automatically.

Comment

Open Office is the program you are thinking about Heather - and yes it is very good.

OpenOffice.org: Home
      Elaine

Comment

Heather, the latest issue of YFT magazine has a review of a free word processing program called AbiWord2.4 available from AbiWord

I haven't tried it myself.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Have you looked at these for invoices templates? Some for Word or Excel.

Comment

Heather An other option for Word is from IBM Lotus Symphony
            again its free.

]Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

[/B]FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN ALL PICS AT 300-600 dpi

ALAN

Comment

Hi I have Works on my puter - Word costs too much. I saw a lot of templates required an exel program which is part of Word and I wondered if the freebie download would work. Thanks for your help everyone - much appreciated.

Those templates look good but they need that Excel program which I havent got :( Any other ideas people please?
              Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 08-01-08, 19:48.

Comment

You can use OpenOffice instead of Excel.

Comment

Mary, sorry Im a thicko, how do I do that please? Ive just downloaded the openoffice thank you but what do I do now - can I download the templates that are for excel and use open office and well, how, please?

Comment

Hi Heather, The following link may help for Open Office:

http://www.familytreeforum.com/computer-help/25821-openoffice-org.html

:D

Comment

Thanks John, but I wonder if you (or Mary) can tell me how to use a Word template for invoices on the OO instead of Excel or is it possible to do please? Or do OO have their own templates I can download for Invoices. I couldnt see any.?

Comment

can I download the templates that are for excel and use open office and well, how, please?
                        Sorry, I've only used it for Word documents myself, and I no longer have it on my computer.

It should have a spreadsheet program that works like Excel. If you can find it, you should be able to open the templates in it.

Try clicking on Help (in OpenOffice), or have a look here:

Calc

Open Office tips
                        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 08-01-08, 21:30.

Comment

Thanks John, but I wonder if you (or Mary) can tell me how to use a Word template for invoices on the OO instead of Excel or is it possible to do please?
                          I think you're probably better off using Excel (which seems to be called Calc in OpenOffice), because it's a lot better at calculations than Word. I only used Word for mine because I have no idea how to use Excel

Comment

Blow me guys, I think I may have done it on a template on there. Its not perfect but Im quite pleased with it - itll certainly save a few hundred quid on getting invoices printed up. Im just a bit confused because I saved it as Invoice template and when I click to open it I get a message saying it is using macros and may not display properly. But it seems to be ok. I cant work out how to change the colour on the shaded areas yet though but I got rid of all the columns and rows which I didnt want and Ive added a few lines that we repeat on every invoice - like the VAT no and terms, data plate nos etc. I have done it on the word processor I think - there didnt seem to be an option and I guess I can use my calculator as normal.

Comment

Good heavens, that was quick!

Comment

Hi Heather, Have you checked this link out:

http://www.familytreeforum.com/computer-help/36964-openoffice-org-templates.html
                                Last edited by Guest; 09-01-08, 00:38.

Comment

Oh, hubby doesnt like it - says doesnt look professional :(

Comment

Working...
                                  X