Advice guys - something new to chew on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice guys - something new to chew on

Interest raised by the appearance of my aunts cousin (who says he has lots of photos) and is aged 82 and in a rather posh nursing home in Sussex at present. I started looking at his line backwards.

Now here is a long standing mystery - on the 1901 we have the following: Beatrice, also known as Jenny!, is this chaps mother. I spoke to my aunt and she said she never knew who this girls father was but was pretty sure the mother was Emily Ann Horstead (daughter of the following Edward and Emily) who married a Fred Ellinor but appears in the 1901 working at a pub in Rotherhithe as a "widow" - Fred meanwhile is back in Suffolk with a "housekeeper" and Fred jnr.

Auntie tells me this Emily was a fantasist and put on airs and graces and was known as Lilian - my own grandmother - Emma Hanson - told auntie that "Lilian" worked as a "hostess" in a mens club in the west end and later married a rather elderly businessman called Cooper. (IInteresting that this Beatrice "Jenny" also married an older wealthy man, who died and she then married the chaffeur! lol - he was a young chap who cleared her out money wise apparently and then disappeared.

But thats by the by - who is Beatrice/Jenny? Ive tried finding a birth cert on freebmd - she doesnt come up under Horstead or Elinor. So Ive tried a blanket search for Beatrices born in Surrey (Rotherhithe) but freebmd isnt having none of it and just freezes on me. Any help please?

Beatrice E Horstead 5 Rotherhithe, London, England Granddaughter Rotherhithe London
    Charlotte Horstead 22 Rotherhithe, London, England Daughter Rotherhithe London
    Edward J Horstead 61 Wapping, London, England Head Rotherhithe London
    Edward J Horstead 29 Rotherhithe, London, England Son Rotherhithe London
    Emily A Horstead 60 Bermondsey, London, England Wife Rotherhithe London
    Henry Horstead 27 Wapping, London, England Son Rotherhithe Lond
    James Horstead 18 Rotherhithe, London, England Son Rotherhithe London
    Mary A Horstead 24 Rotherhithe, London, England Daughter Rotherhithe London
    Sarah Horstead 20 Rotherhithe, London, England Daughter Rotherhithe
    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 08-01-08, 13:52.

Rotherhithe would be in St Olave Southwark district in 1895-6. Can't see a likely looking Beatrice E birth, though.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

The only one I can see is a Mary Ann Ellinor born Jun 1895 St Olave! Sorry.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Mystery isnt it!! Thanks Kate.

Id found an Irene Elinor who died as a toddler - aunt says she remembers one of her aunts talking about that child. May be Mary also died young - The husband Fred, is in Suffolk in the 1901 with the son Fred, who I assume is also Emilys.
        Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 08-01-08, 14:48.

Comment

Working...
        X