Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USB stick question - from a nervous user...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB stick question - from a nervous user...

Have printed off Glen's backup files thread but just wanted to re-check something before I attempt it.

I have pruned all my genealogy info, census, pics, word docs, etc. The originals are all on my USB stick. A friend (not available at moment) guided me through it and I have written instructions how to put stuff on. (Still scared)

Want to delete what is on there and put on new stuff. Could you hold my hand and just advise me - I know ( I think) that anything I put on with same name replaces existing ones. However, have changed names of some folders etc. So want to start again...

Many thanks. Liz
    Liz

If there's plenty of room on your USB memory stick I would load the new stuff on and THEN delete the old stuff. If there is anything with the same name already on the stick you will get a warning message so you can choose what to do.

Don't be scared! If the stuff is all on your computer anyway, you can always have another go!

Once your memory stick is plugged into your computer you can treat it as another drive. You can open all the folders on the stick just like you can the ones on your computer.

Beware - therein lies a little risk! Double check which one you have open on your screen so you don't accidentally delete the 'computer stuff' instead of the 'stick stuff'.

Anne
    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 08-01-08, 13:11.

Comment

just dont forget to click on safely remove hardware before you take your memory stick out as it may not save your stuff correctly

Comment

Thanks Val and Anne...I will a have a go with all your advice...Liz

UPDATE: Did it, did it, did it!! Am hyperventilating but I did it! Thanks again. Liz
        Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 08-01-08, 17:06.
        Liz

Comment

clever you am pleased for you

Comment

Well done Liz. Now you'll be able to do it again and again!

anne

Comment

Oh I am, I am. Can't keep me off them. It has made me prune, name and sort out my pics. One thing not sure how to do.

Okay with pics in MY PICTURES folder in Docs. But how do I access those on their own software (Olympus) and Photoplus to save onto USB stick. Erm...have I even asked the right question here. The depths of ignorance revealed again but I never used the word 'thingy' once!

Any thoughts or advice welcome. Liz
              Liz

Comment

What format are your pictures saved in? Mine are all .jpeg (.jpg) which is a format easily accessible by all photo programs.

I don't think it really matters though what format they are in. Each photo (or maybe group of photos) will be a FILE which you can choose to save anywhere - in this case on your mem stick. If you need them for a backup you can copy or move them back onto your computer and the photo program will open them. If you want to open them directly from your mem stick the same thing will happen because the program is alreay waiting for them on the computer.

Hmmm - seem to be tangling myself up there. :o Does it make sense? Look for the FILE which may be in MY PICTURES or may be in another folder specially created for your photo program.

Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne - they are all .jpg so will have a go. Liz

UPDATE: Been in HP Director then My Images - error developed. Will sort all pics first...may be gone some time...Liz

UPDATE 2 (Hyperventilating again!): HP Director photos all seem to be in My Pictures so that's okay. My Olympus software which I upload my camera card onto...managed to copy to My Pictures and then...have burned to a CD-R. They all belong to my pal who sold me the digital camera. He will have to play the CD-R on his computer to see if okay. Can't cope with the stress of working out how to test it...Know it will be simple...

Whew...that's enough for today. Who knows, one day I might ascend to the giddy heights of Photobucket (lol). Thanks for your help and support. Liz
                  Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 10-01-08, 13:36.
                  Liz

Comment

Well done Liz

I am a nervous user too, though have experimented with photobucket, scanning and all sorts since I got my laptop.

BUT I was a silly billy recently and spilt a glass of red wine on my laptop (dreaded telling husband). For a few days the keyboard was a bit strange - none of the navigation keys worked, and neither did the backspace or the u letter.

But as you can tell its back to normal. Such a relief! I am about to buy a memory stick.
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Keep the memory stick away from the red wine, Nell!
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                      X