CHINN alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHINN alert

I've had help here before with my CHINN family. I've now filled in some of the gaps and I hope you can help me fill some more.

Samuel CHINN (b. abt 1828 Hinton St. Mary, Dorset)
    married
    Mary Ann Lewis CLUETT (b. abt 1828 Marnhull, Dorset)
    q1 1851 in Wincanton District (10 841)

I have Samuel in censuses from 1851 to 1891, but not his death. He started life as a baker and then became an Evangelical minister. He married, moved to Alton and lived with his unmarried daughter Aurelia (born q3 1851 in Marnhull and in censuses from 1871 to 1901 variously mistranscribed as Chives and Chum with variations on Aurelia as well).

Mary died q2 1866 in Alton. I can't find either Mary or Aurelia in 1861, though I've found Samuel as a visitor in Marnhull (married, baker aged 36), with Mary Lewis, unmarried former schoolmistress aged 76 and Albertina Cluett, unmarried aged 30 and presumably his sister-in-law.

So can anyone please find:
    Samuel's death
    Mary and Aurelia in 1861
    anything else of interest

Aurelia ran a school in Alton and eventually married in 1914 after her retirement.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

There's a death in Alton district for a Samuel Chinn in Dec Q 1894 Vol 2c pg 100. Samuel's age at death is given as 66 which fits in nicely.

Comment

Uncle John,

Have you seen this????

spooky!!!
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Had to look twice when I saw this thread Julie....What a coincidence!
        Heather

Comment

yes, I know.... deffo spooky!!

where's Sue and John when you need em, I want to know now...if there is a connection!!! pmsl
          Julie

Comment

oh er!! Well I never!..lol

Ohh that is very spooky!! Shame that this is my only Chinn family !

just put this on 'my' thread:

"My Elias was born Dorset, according to census c1836 and I haven't looked into his ancestry as he married into my Gilbert family. But it looks a possible connection ! "

Perhaps I should have a look into Elias' history?

update: Elias was born Hinton St Mary, Dorset
            Last edited by Crafty Sue; 07-01-08, 18:10.
            Sue

Comment

erm,

have you searched the GEDCOM??

not wanting to teach you to suck eggs??

;)
              Julie

Comment

Sorry, but my Chinn family are not on the GEDCOM yet :o Only recently found mine, will do an update soon.

My Elias' parents were Amos c1813 Manston, Dorset(transcribed as Ames) & Mary c1809 Sturminster, Dorset. They were living in Hinton St Mary in 1851.

I don't think my Elias & John's Samuel were brothers. They were in different households in 1841, but both had fathers named Amos. Perhaps cousins?
                Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Georgette View Post
                  There's a death in Alton district for a Samuel Chinn in Dec Q 1894 Vol 2c pg 100. Samuel's age at death is given as 66 which fits in nicely.
                  Thank you for that. Must get some new glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                    That's what triggered my renewed search. :D:D
                    I had a look but can't see a connection.

Comment

Originally posted by Crafty Sue View Post
                      Perhaps I should have a look into Elias' history?

update: Elias was born Hinton St Mary, Dorset
                      Prolly related then. But I can't see anything yet (not having looked ;) )

Comment

I've been having a dig around the Cluetts. Plenty on the IGI (pity the film ref. is wrong though - Cambridgeshire not Dorset). Mary and Thomas Lewis come into it somewhere but Mary and Albertina Cluett don't appear to have the same parents. That part of Dorset seems to be infested with Chinns and Cluetts.

Comment

Bumped in case anyone can find Mary and Aurelia Chinn in 1861.

Comment

I have Chinns from Warwickshire and they are a nightmare been stuck for years now, gonna take a risk and order a few pot luck certs, with the hope of getting the right one.

Comment

Originally posted by Crafty Sue View Post
                              Sorry, but my Chinn family are not on the GEDCOM yet :o Only recently found mine, will do an update soon.

My Elias' parents were Amos c1813 Manston, Dorset(transcribed as Ames) & Mary c1809 Sturminster, Dorset. They were living in Hinton St Mary in 1851.

I don't think my Elias & John's Samuel were brothers. They were in different households in 1841, but both had fathers named Amos. Perhaps cousins?
                              Samuel Chinn b 1829 is Elias John Chinns uncle.

Comment

Samuel Chinn (b.1829) had 4 siblings: Amos Chinn (b.1809), James Chinn (b.1817), Luke Chinn (b. 1819), Emanuel Chinn (b1821). Their parents: Amos Chinn (b.1787) and Elizabeth Cox (b.1788).

Amos Chinn (b1809) had 5 children, 1 of whom was Elias.

Looks like I'm connected to Crafty Sue and Uncle John!

Comment

We're linked but not related. Samuel's daughter Aurelia is my g-g-uncle Joseph Hayward's second wife.

Comment

Has anyone got Professor Carl Chinn in their tree - he's a local historian in the Midlands.

Has programme on BBC Radio WM on a Sunday I believe.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
                                    X