Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Anyone Recognise This Uniform, etc

Hello :D

Im having trouble identifying this uniform of who happens to be a GG Granddad of mine. His name was either William Davies or William Watkins and was from Wales. My guess was that this may have been during the Boar War but if not, then WW1....

I wondered if anyone could help me identify the photo a bit more, i.e, uniform, rank, time of photo etc...anything that will help me know a bit about him.

Thanks All..

Sophie x
    Last edited by Pippa Doll; 12-11-08, 21:46.
    LondonLass_89 xXx

:::@# The Secret Will Reveal Itself......After I Uncover My Great Ancestors Of The Past....**~$@

Just so people can see it...

Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

If its any help it looks like he is wearing Stirrups???

I'm not that great on identifying stuff like this but did notice those

Hello and welcome to FTF by the way
      Julie

Comment

I agree with julie...
        you can also just see what could be a riding crop poking out from under his arm.. and also just in veiw is someone else holding a riding crop.

Comment

I think he is an Artillery man, the thingy across his chest is a bandolier for holding ammunition, he is of course a mounted soldier, I can't tell what rank.

Comment

ps, I am pretty certain it's ww1.........

Comment

As Barbara has already pointed out this photograph is of a soldier who was in either a mounted unit or regiment and is from the 1st ww period. Unfortunately the cap badge, which may help to identify the regiment is obscured by the restoration that someone has carried out. If you have the original, without the gold dots, it might help. And yes he is wearing spurs.

don.

Comment

Thats the word Don......... Spurs :o

I knew it began with S...

Julie

Comment

he is high ranking because of the braid on shoulder and hat,i think he is a colonel and i would say first world war,riding horses could he be something to do with the kings gaurds brenda xxx

Comment

The lanyard at his shoulder would have a service knife on the end of it and on all acounts wasn't all that useful. Strangley enough he has what appears to be a lanyard at each shoulder. The Bandolier, as Barabara has pointed out, held ammunition in the small pouches and was worn by mounted servicemen not just in the artillery (which by the form and shape of what can be seen of the cap badge I don't think was his regiment) but also by the Royal Army Service Corps and also the Royal Engineers. As for his rank dependant on which regiment he was with he would be a trooper or driver (R.A.), private (R.A.S.C.) and sapper or pioneer (R.E.).

don.

Comment

As Don says, the key is the cap badge. below is Royal Field Artillery, very different badge so it's not that regt.

Comment

You know....I neva noticed all those things before; I always thought he looked a bit high ranking but i duno reli....The job is now to found out which grandad it was....Ive been told by my Great Gran that he was her Grandad; but she neva said from which side he was from...mothers or fathers. I got my Great Grans Parents Marriage Cert when they married in 1916 and it says that both their father were Colliers. Im not sure how to go about find out more on who this person was...and even more about what that picture can tell me.....

Any suggestions?
                        LondonLass_89 xXx

:::@# The Secret Will Reveal Itself......After I Uncover My Great Ancestors Of The Past....**~$@

Comment

Didn't know what was meant by Lanyard .... looked it up in the dictionary ...

Is the white braid on his left shoulder a Lanyard as well as the cord on his right shoulder ?

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

certainly is Rachel.

don.

Comment

Harking back to my (distant) youth when I had a collection of cap badges, the badge looks as though it could be the skull and crossbones which, from memory, I think was for the 17/21st Lancers. This would tie in with the spurs etc
                              Michael

Lincolnshire, East Yorkshire,Lancashire, Cheshire, Worcester and Montgomery (so far)

Comment

Ahh yeh i see what you mean AianC......

Hmm....i still feel troubled...its been bugging me all night about who this guy could be in my family...lol.......
                                LondonLass_89 xXx

Comment

I think that officers would have better tailored uniforms, they also wore the "Sam Browne", leather belt with diagonal bit going over the shoulder,and a pistol in a holster at the waist.

Comment

I will admit I couldn't work out the cap badge..:D But I am absolutely certain he is not an officer.......

Comment

Maybe your rite barbara (with a sad sigh). It would have sounded nice tho...Corporal...or Officer...hehe.....Plus he has no strippy things on his arm...doesnt that show that you was an officer or sumthing?....

Ive got a feeling he might have been a Driver in the Royal Field or Horse Artillery; judging by all your helpful comments and loads or trolling thru the net to find uniform pics. But then he has that riding crop...so he would have rode on horses?.......
                                      LondonLass_89 xXx

Comment

Originally posted by londonlass_89 View Post

Plus he has no strippy things on his arm...doesnt that show that you was an officer or sumthing?....
                                        No, it shows you were a private.

There don't appear to be any 'pips' on his epaulettes so the probability is he was a private/gunner/rifleman/driver

Comment

Working...
                                        X