missing family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• missing family

May I have some help with this family please? I'm having trouble finding some of their births/deaths and on census - seem to be going round in circles :o - sorry if it's long winded but have a few questions..

Martha Gilbert married Elias John Chinn 1858 Mar Q Portsea Island Vol 2b page 520 - Martha born c1840 Brockenhurst, Hampshire , Elias born c1836 Hinton St Mary, Dorset

I have Martha & Elias in 1861 with son Gilbert Chinn (I have found Gilberts birth) in All Saints, Southampton ref RG9; Piece: 677; Folio: 80; Page: 7

1st problem: 1861 is my last sighting of Martha & Elias - can anyone find them on census or their deaths?

They also have another child (and possibly another, see below) Alice Augusta Chinn born 1866 Hornsey, Middlesex
    I have found Alice in 1871 with grandparents Adam & Maria Gilbert in Alverstoke, Hampshire ref: RG10; Piece: 1150; Folio: 119; Page: 28
    She married Edward George Woods Sep 1889 - she gives her father's name as Gilbert Chinn dec
    A contact has sent me copies of Alice's birth & marriage certificates

2nd problem: I haven't found Alice after 1871

My contact also says there was another child to Martha & Elias, Lewis Chinn bn c1863. Contact doesn't have any more information.
    Gilbert Chinn is in Industrial Schools Whitechapel in 1871 and there is also a Lewis listed

3rd problem: Have not found any other sighting (birth, death or census) of Lewis Chinn to prove/disprove he is the child of Martha & Elias.

Apologies if it's too many questions all in one go. But would appreciate help.
    Sue

There's a John Elias Chinn on the 1871 census. He's a lodger, married but wife isn't there.
    Heather

Comment

Cant see any christenings on the IGI- it doesn't help but may save someone else looking
      Jess

Comment

Thanks Heather, that does look like it's him, occupation matches.
        Sue

Comment

Thanks for looking Jess
          Sue

Comment

Freebmd has a marriage for Elias Chinn in 1874 in Bethnal Green but I can't see him in 1881.
            Heather

Comment

Louis Chinn died Lambeth 1872 aged 10

There's a Gilbert with son Louis in 1881
              Heather

Comment

Thanks Heather. The Louis who died looks like my 'brother' of Gilbert & Alice. Lewis/Louis, didn't think of that! :o
                Sue

Comment

Just been looking at the possible marriage Heather found for Elias in 1874. Two other names on page, Julia Shaw & William Plesents. Have found in 1881 a possible for these. Shown under the name of Pleasents. So Elias mat have married Mary Ann Mendham.
                  Sue

Comment

I think that's the one Sue. Mary A Chinn is a widow in 1881 she has sister Esther Mendham living with her also daughter Maud aged 24?
                    Heather

Comment

I wonder if daughter and sister's ages are wrong way round in 1881?
                      Heather

Comment

Hmm.. just been looking. that's a bit odd! At first I thought Maud could be a daughter of Martha & Elias but dates/places of birth don't really fit.
                        Sue

Comment

Only birth for Maud E Chinn that I can see is in 1875 Hackney
                          Sue

Comment

There's a birth for Maud Esther in 1875 in Hackney on freebmd so think she's probably the daughter of Elias and Mary A. and I think the age is wrong in 1881 but haven't found her on 1891 or 1901 to confirm..... there's a possible marriage in June 1906 .

Can't find a death for Elias or Martha.
                            Heather

Comment

bingo! Yes they were muddled!

Esther Susan Mendham 1857 Mar Q Bethnal Green.
                              Sue

Comment

Alice M Chinn 1881 census

Married to GILBERT CHINN

2 children alfred G. chinn 5mths

and louis J. Chinn 2yrs

Class: RG11; Piece: 253; Folio: 20; Page: 36

seems to much of a coincidence not to be related???

(Gilbert born southampton)
                                Last edited by Darksecretz; 07-01-08, 11:36.
                                Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thankyou Julie. Think that looks like my Gilbert Chinn with the other Louis that Heather found.
                                  Sue

Comment

Do you have any more info on gilbert and his family?

or do you have him already on the census?

am a looking for alice, but she is being a little bit difficult...lol
                                    Julie
                                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Yes thankyou Julie, I have Gilbert & wife Alice in 1891 & 1901
                                      Sue

Comment

Think I've found Elias' 2nd wife Mary Ann. Married David Baillie 1883 Mar Q bethnal Green. 1901 census RG13; Piece: 252; Folio: 109; Page: 41 transcribed as Baillio. Maud has also been transcribed as this, step-daughter.

Franticly making notes here..lol
                                        Sue

Comment

Working...
                                        X