How do I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I

The main desendants I can keep track of but then when you add the kids of the kids of the kids etc etc etc, how do you keep track or know when you find something that go's with someone on your tree?

Is there an easy way which I dont know?
    www.chrisatstjohns.tribalpages.com
    http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/User:ChrissyConfused-91

Um, not quite sure what you are asking, Chrissie.

I do have lots of children of children of children and they tend to stick to the same names, so on my tree I put the women's married names in brackets and for the chaps I put some distinguishing feature to help me tell who is which, such as (died at sea) or (blacksmith) or (prison)!

Does this help?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Not really Nell :D but thanks anyway.

Not sure what I mean myself lets see if I can explain better

I have Robert Penny married Ann Horler

I have their kids, Martha,John Robert and William

then I have children for them and then some children for those too

How do I keep track of them all, or better still how do you keep track!!

Comment

Well I just put them in my PAF and make paper notes about them too.
        I find they often provide clues to the main bloodline and are interesting anyway (genealogy is very addictive). But the more you write them down, fill in charts etc the more the facts, names, dates etc stick in your mind.

Does that help?

Comment

PAF ? is that the same sort of thing like FTM

Comment

Chrissie

If FTM = Family Tree Maker, then yes!

PAF = Personal Ancestral File, its free family tree software you can download from FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records

It is OK, but I am planning to buy commercial software this year and you can import/export to/from PAF using GEDCOM.

Comment

I do have Family Tree Maker, but don't think I use it to it full potential, not very good when it comes to reading and understanding instructions booklets.
              and I am not one for fiddling around with things (unlike some I know).

Looks like I have some printing to do so I can add them to my files (of the paper kind)

Comment

I am most at ease with a paper trail.

I have a family group sheet and a sheet for each individual.

I use a simple flow chart method, cross referenced with things like "Go to page 272" which will be a family chart for that person, once they have married or left the family home.

This is the only way I can keep track, as I have many repeating names in my tree and quickly get confused!

OC

Comment

Thanks OC, that sounds more like what I need to do, computer programes are alright to a point, but I'm like you, you know where you are with paper lol

Comment

Oh I much prefer software - I can click on Tools and Relationship Calculator and it will tell you how two people are connected, and with another click you can see a pedigree chart.

Plus you can get a list of all individuals called Joe Bloggs and see how many there are and what their birthdates are!

Comment

I might agree with you Nell, if I knew what the hell you were on about or knew how to do it :D:D

Mind you you are talking to some one who can't get her head round thinking of the computer as a filing cabinet, I have tried but just cant do it :D:D

Comment

I agree with Nell.

I hardly have anything printed. Used to, but got rid.

Everything on FTM. Backed up of course whenever I make any adjustments. (Ok sometimes I do forget) ;)

Couldn't be without my genealogy software, all that paper would be a nightmare.

Comment

If I printed out every person in my tree as OC does I would need loads of paper and ink for the printer. Just imagine how much paper I would need for my tree of 10,000 people!!!!

It is so much easier to see who is who when it is on the PC.
                          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

OMG Wendy how do you keep up with that lot, I have a mere 450 or so on my tree and am having trouble

Comment

I keep my tree on a PAF file, Tribal Pages and also Family Tree 4. I keep and update cd copies of everything too. I have paper files for each family in ring binders with certificates and also keep paper copies in a ring binder for every census record I print. I find it easy to keep track of families using the census, when they appear on them that is. I also keep a copy of each certificate on My Pictures and transfer to cd too.
                              Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

I do have my tree on the computer, but I find I always go to my paper records to find something out!

As long as I keep them filed in strict alphabetical order - just like a card index - I am fine.

Direct ancestors in red, siblings in black with a red line round them, everyone else in black. Everything in pencil till proven.

You can download free Family Group sheets and Individual sheets from familysearch, but I am too mean to waste the ink so I make up my own.

OC

Comment

So, Chrissie

You asked if there was an easy way and I guess a computer will help - but only if you learn how to use it. Rather as a car is an easy way of getting around - if you learn to drive!

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissy Confused View Post
                                    OMG Wendy how do you keep up with that lot, I have a mere 450 or so on my tree and am having trouble

I don't!!!!:D

I mainly use FTM but I also have Generations 8 program which marks all direct lines in bold, so I can see who follows who. I jump from one program to another if I want to see anyone in my direct line.

A lot of the people on my tree are branches where children have married and I've researched them and just kept adding!!! Can't seem to stop!!!:(
                                    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Me thinks I need to have a play around with FTM again and if that does not work then try OC suggestion, and hope one of them will work for me LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                                        So, Chrissie

You asked if there was an easy way and I guess a computer will help - but only if you learn how to use it. Rather as a car is an easy way of getting around - if you learn to drive!

Thank you all for your advice and suggestion.......................I might be gone for some time :D

Comment

Working...
                                        X