Can't find them on the 1881 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't find them on the 1881 census

I am searching for my Hattons on the 1881 census and can't seem to find them.

They are on the 1891 census ref: ED103 line8
    (they are in Scotland)

Mother is Harriett Hatton 1846 born England
    children are:
    Arthur 1871 Glasgow
    George 1873 Glasgow
    Harriett 1875 Glasgow.

Thankyou in advance
    Jen

Parish: Glasgow Govan; ED: 103; Line: 8; Year: 1891.

transcribed as
    Harriett Hatton b1875 Glasgow, mother Harriett
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine that is the census i have them on just can't find them on the 1881 to move them back a little.
      Jen

Comment

Oops sorry - not concentrating!
        Elaine

Comment

Jen, Have you possibly mixed up the years of birth for Arthur and George?

I can see a George being born in 1871 to John Hatton and Harriet Wood in Glasgow but can't find a single Arthur in that period.

Just did a search on 1881 census (Scotland) and found a George Hatton of the correct age (going by your date) and it wasn't the right one.
          Although it may still have some interest for you as there are English born Hattons withint the household too.
          With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

My Hattons are from both England and Scotland. Just checked ancestry again to make sure i haven't got the dates muddled up but they are correct or as correct as ancestry is. Thankyou. I didn't want to say anything Elaine lol.
            Jen

Comment

Am I correct with the Parents being John Hatton and Harriet (ms Wood)?

Comment

Just checked Scotlands People and their isn't a single Arthur Hatton born in 1871 in Scotland anywhere.
                And not a single George Hatton born in 1873 anywhere in Scotland so I am guessing Ancestry is wrong :D

Comment

I only know that the mother is called Harriett from the 1891 census. But that is what i was thinking after i was looking for the baptisms on the LDS site.
                  Jen

Comment

Wouldn't surprise me lol. I saw something on LDS will just go find what i saw again.
                    Jen

Comment

Just found it Shaz. It is for George Edward Hatton born 22/10/1871 (like you said wrong way round possibly)
                      parents are John Charles Hatton and Harriet Hannah Wood.
                      Jen

Comment

Sorry if i dont reply for a while got MIL and FIL coming round any minute.
                        Jen

Comment

Arthur Frederick Hatton 3rd April 1868 born to the same people according to the IGI.

Also

Charles Edward Herbet Hatton 1863
                          Harry Hatton 1864
                          Frank Edgar Hatton 1865
                          Arabella Louisa 1866
                          Alfred Alexander 1869
                          Clara Louise Hatton 1870
                          Harriet Eliza Hatton 1873

All born to John and Harriet.

Comment

By the way the Hatton's I found on Scotlands People 1881 (May be related in some way)

11 Abbotsford Place, Govan, Lanarkshire.

Head; Georgianna Hatton (Unmarried) 20 born in England (Occ. At Home)
                            John H Hatton (Unmarried) 19 born England (Occ, Musician)
                            Frank E Hatton, 15 born Glasgow (Occ, Scholar)
                            George E Hatton 7 born Glasgow (Occ, Scholar)

John, Frank and George's relation to head of household is listed as Son (Bro)

I have just searched the IGI and found a Georgina Hatton born to John Charles Hatton and Harriet Hannah so I am guessing that these above are related.
                            Last edited by BigShaz McCreadie; 06-01-08, 15:06. Reason: More Info

Comment

I think this family in 1861 match what Shaz found in 1881 SCotland

RG9; Piece: 2939; Folio: 31; Page: 15

John C Hatton 26, professor of Music born cheltenham Gloucs
                              Harriet H Hatton 20 born Tunstall Staffordshire
                              Georgianna E Hatton 1 born Liverpool Lancashire
                              John Charles Hatton 1 Mo, born Manchester
                              Last edited by samesizedfeet; 06-01-08, 16:34. Reason: put wrong census year
                              Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

John Charles Hatton marriage - 1857 Dec Manchester 8d 4_1 (page on freebmd)

Harriet Hannah Wood marriage - 1857 Dec Manchester 8d 480

if you go via ancestry you can view the actual page for John - I think it could be 480
                                Zoe in London

Comment

Thankyou very much. Just got back on after having in laws round and little one having a big accident. Just off to look at it all now.
                                  Thans again.
                                  Jen

Comment

Shaz i am a little confused. On the 1881 census you have i have found ti and been looking it says that their mother is Janet Addie. On the 1861 It has the correct parents,. Could it just be an error on the form?
                                    Thankyou
                                    Jen

Comment

I took it to be an error on the form and the Hattons are boarding with Janet Addie
                                      Zoe in London

Comment

Thanks Zoe that is what i was thinking just wanted to double check.
                                        Jen

Comment

Working...
                                        X