• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmmmmm

1881 Nuffield, Oxfordshire
    Henry Pope head 66 Nuffield
    Ann Pope wife 62 Ipsden
    Emily Grace Gray Gd daughter 7 Nuffield

Henry died in 1890 and in 1891, Ann is with one of her sons in London.

On the 1891, Emily Grace is Grace Gray a domestic nurse aged 17 born Nuffield, lodging with a second cousin of Henry Pope's in Nuffield.

She marries Alfred Allaway in 1893 and in 1901 they are living in Nuffield with five children. Her eldest son's second name is Jacob (the name of a son of Henry and Ann) and her second son is Sidney Henry (both names of sons of Henry and Ann).

Thing is, I don't see how she can be a grand-daughter. I have Henry and Ann on every census and have the baptisms of all of their children. Their eldest daughter Charlotte married in 1868, Alice in 1861 and Mercy in 1865 and they are all accounted for in 1871 and 1881. Their youngest daughter Ruth born in 1852 didn't marry. In 1871 she is a servant in Bushey, Herts and in 1881/91 in Hurley, Berks dying in 1900.

Furthermore I can't find a birth registration for an Emily Grace or Grace Emily Gray or Grey anywhere in the time frame.

I suppose Gd daughter be god-daughter and no relation at all?
    Asa

Who did the boys marry?
    The only Emily Grace that I can see in that timeframe is Emily Grace Hathrill...does that name ring a bell?

Comment

Hi David,

On the lines of poss god-daughter rather than grand, could she be related to Ann? Can't find any Gr*ys in the twelve Nuffield pages but on the previous census page I see two young men with the surname Grace, George, 14 & Stephen 18 both from Ipsden working on a farm. Maybe a family who lost their parents & all moved to Nuffield to stay together??

Best idea I can think of.
      Love
      Viv xx
      Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Hi David

I did take a quick look to see what the possibilities are. I wondered whether Ruth had had a child, registered as Pope, but whose father (Gr*y)subsequently acknowledged the child? I see that "Grace" has a similar sound to "Gray's". However, this did not produce any results. There is a Grace E Pope born in Bicester reg district Sept 1874 - but this is Grace Elizabeth and her death is registered in the same district in the same quarter. The Grace Emily Bailey registered in Bicester was born in Hethe and is with her parents on the 1881 census.

Hope you solve this one eventually.
        Last edited by Moulting Owl; 06-01-08, 12:27. Reason: addition

Comment

Should you ever wish to follow up more info on Ruth, you may find this site of interest: Bushey Museum Home page

It tends not to have actual records online, but it is, nevertheless, a useful resource should you wish to visit the area one day.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Lyn
            I did wonder that - if perhaps she was a daughter of a daughter-in-law. But I found the last of the daughters-in-law and she doesn't fit in with them. No Hathrill doesn't sound familiar.

Hello Viv: ) That's definitely worth looking into - Ann was a Smith (well she would be wouldn't she) and I haven't gone into her family at all. Henry is a great x something uncle but haveing sorted all their family out, Emily is bugging me. I should cast the net wider into Ann's relations.
            x

Thank you very much Moulting Owl. I don't think I'd been as thorough as that cos I'd been looking too hard for too long this morning
            Add Moulting Owl to Your Buddy List

Thank you, Christine. I'll make a note of that. I'm quite fond of Ruth for some reason.

I'm loathe to buy Emily Grace's marriage cert cos I have many more important ones to get and of course it could well be no help at all. I'm going to investigate Smiths a bit...
            Asa

Comment

If you find you need some Bushey info, I could possibly pop in on a Thursday afternoon when the Local Studies bit is open... but not in January! (Work pressures.)

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
              X