Would you accept this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you accept this?

My ancestor Sarah (Sally) Saunders was born 1780/1 Pishill, Oxon according to the 1851 and 1861. In 1861, she is living with her widowed sister Elizabeth Piercey born c1776 Pishill. Their maiden name was Gomm. The parish registers from the late 1770s and early 1780s were destroyed and the BTs are incomplete for the relevant years also.

However there is a baptism there in 1785 for a Fanny Gomm, daughter of John and Sarah plus her burial in 1789 and John and Sarah are both buried there. There are no other Gomms having children around the period in what does exist of the PRs.

Among her children, my Sally had children named John, Sarah and Fanny, although I know the first two are too common to be much of an indication.

Given the absence of baptisms, BTs and wills for John and Sarah Gomm, would you accept John and Sarah as parents of Sally and Elizabeth?
    Asa

I would, Asa.

Especially if the children's names conformed to the local naming pattern.
    Gwynne

Comment

Morning Guinevere and thank you: ) I 'feel' it's them even though Gomm was a fairly common name in the area.

Unfortunately, Sally's childrens' names don't really conform to any naming pattern but then they don't in the family that she married into either - seems less typical around there.
      Asa

Comment

In the absence of any other likely parents in that parish or any nearby I think it would be a logical conclusion. It would seem logical for a couple to name a child after a sister who died, I've had that a few times.

My Welsh lot were very random with their names as well but it's usually possible to narrow them down. The East Anglian lot were very obliging and more or less kept to a naming pattern and used Mum's maiden name as a second Christian name.

Which is why Dad's side of the tree is 7 times bigger than Mum's.
        Gwynne

Comment

Mother's middle names and strict adherence to naming patterns are the joy of Scottish ancestry ; )
          Asa

Comment

I think I would put them into my tree with a dotted line and a note saying "not certain about this" and keep trying to find something to confirm it, for instance looking to see if any of her grandparents or other relative could have left a will that mentioned her.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Kate, I've made notes about it. There are some possibe relations on the National Archives site so I will to have to get them at some point.
              Asa

Comment

Working...
              X