2008 - just 4 more years till we can see the 1911 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 - just 4 more years till we can see the 1911 census

I just hope I am not too senile to remember who I am looking for!

Might even clear up some mysteries! My Dad's parents will be there with his eldest two brothers.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

I dont know as it will help me at all really....

yes it will be nice to see my grandparents and my gt grandmother.. but alot of the info I have collated is mainly post 1901 stuff anyway,

makes me kind of sad really... actually knowing this generation that will be online soonish....
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Julie

You never know what surprises may be in store! But yes, its making me feel terribly old! I hope it will clear up some confusion about my Gloucestershire grandfather's siblings, but we'll have to wait and see!

Comment

Will the site crash for weeks as we all go for it at once,or will technology have advanced?

Comment

I can't wait - a few of my mysteries will be solved when I get my hands on it.

Better hurry up and get on with all my other bits which need sorting out before that's released!!!

Comment

Nell,

I dont feel old, its just that... oh I don't know..lol.. makes me kinda sad.

it might throw up some children that I can definately confirm,

oh I sound like a right misery guts....lol
            Julie

Comment

Julie I know what you mean I cant explain it either really, maybe its because to see their names actually written down brings it home to you they really did exist ???????? or does that sound stupid ????? probably does.

Comment

Didn't I read that they will release the 1911 Census in 2009 ? (minus the info if individuals were blind etc etc)

Comment

Erm...some of the 1911 is due to go on line in 2009...with only sensitive information supressed until 2012.

There was a list somewhere of the order in which it will be going on line...London first, I think.

OC

Comment

I might be able to find my grandfather and work out whether he was telling porkies.

He was born in 1901 and just made the census but there's a huge mystery of what happened to his parents and when and where they died.

Are we still going to have to wait until 2011?

I thought it was going to be earlier (2009) and if you know the address you want now you can pay £45

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                      Erm...some of the 1911 is due to go on line in 2009...with only sensitive information supressed until 2012.

There was a list somewhere of the order in which it will be going on line...London first, I think.

OC
                      Oh good ! That'll cover 3 of my Great Grandparents.

I'd be keen to see that list. Any ideas where it might be - National Archive maybe ?

Having already got a copy of an entry for the 1911 Census for one of my Great Grandparents - it's great to see the original writing of your Ancestors. Although it cost me £45.

Comment

Simon

Try googling "1911 census" and see what comes up.

I'm in no great hurry - the only people of interest to me will be my grandparents, and like ALL my 20th century research, I feel a bit snoopy...silly, isn't it.

OC

Comment

Hm. Well, none of my 4 sets of gt grandparents will be together.
                          My paternal gt grandmother Emma was widowed 1879, and 2nd husband died 1909.
                          My maternal gt grandmother named Emma had died 1904, her husband remarried.
                          My maternal gt grandmother Ellen died 1906 and her husband remarried.
                          Final gt grandmother Ruth died 1906 and her husband remained a widower - but I don't know when he moved from Limpenhoe, Norfolk to London, so maybe 1911 will help confirm it.

Gosh - that's 3 gt grandmothers who died before they reached old age - and the one who outlived 2 husbands died at the ripe age of 80.

Comment

Husband's lot are mainly younger and should all be alive 1911.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                              Simon

Try googling "1911 census" and see what comes up.

I'm in no great hurry - the only people of interest to me will be my grandparents, and like ALL my 20th century research, I feel a bit snoopy...silly, isn't it.

OC
                              I've had a quick look...............but I want to go to sleep ! I'll have a proper look later today.

I know what you mean on being 'snoopy', in 1911, 2 of my Grandparents were alive, but only aged 11 and 8..............they got married in 1928. So it'll be interesting to see them on it.

On the other side of my tree, all my Great Grandparents by 1911 were mid-teens to early 20's...........so again interesting to see their life changes since 1901 : but I didn't know any of them - so not really an odd feeling when I see their details ! But as said earlier - I've seen one of them already in the 1911 Census.

Comment

Well I can't wait!

If I can find OH's granddad, we might find out whether he was Yorkshire or Lancashire - might not seem important but believe me it is, lol!! Then we will know where he was on previous censuses.

I may also find where my g. grandmother went.

Joanie

Comment

Is it really OC What sort of info would be classed as sensitive, would you know?
                                  Rosi

We are the famous CFC

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                    Julie I know what you mean I cant explain it either really, maybe its because to see their names actually written down brings it home to you they really did exist ???????? or does that sound stupid ????? probably does.
                                    Nope Not to me Val.... don't sound stupid at ALL...

I think that's it though, the fact that I know, (and knew) the people that will be on it, it is different to the other census, is more personal... not information wise, but "family ties" wise.

the other census they were just names, I know that sounds horrible, I knew they were family, but just not real if that makes sense.

oh I know what I mean...lol
                                    Julie

Comment

Well I am glad there will be a record of them - the more evidence they leave behind the better and no one now alive is going to be hurt by what it says, although of course it might be sad.

Comment

Rosi

In fact, the only information that will be suppressed is the column for disability!

(I believe this column is suppressed if you apply for a 1911 census look up at the moment)

I am wondering how this will affect ME - my grandmother was born profoundly deaf and was at a school for the Deaf - will all the people in the school be suppressed? If not, it will rather give the game away, won't it!

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X