Early civil registration - if only!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early civil registration - if only!

Civil registration was first discussed by Parliament in 1833. Just imagine if they'd passed legislation then - just 4 years later, it was made lawful in 1837, but those 4 years in my family history, covering births, marriages and deaths 1833-37 would have been invaluable in solving serveral mysteries!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

3 of my main brickwalls cover that few years before 1837.....

Comment

Didn't they first think of doing census returns in the 1770's??

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
        Didn't they first think of doing census returns in the 1770's??
        Yes they did ! Or the 1750's........

It was considered too intrusive ! What would they make of the way we live in 2008 !

Comment

There were census returns in the 1770s. The ones for Westmorland are online.

Sorry, just checked , the date was 1787.

A parish near our local town has census records for 1781 and 1684.
          Last edited by HeatherD; 06-01-08, 10:59.
          Heather

Comment

Originally posted by Simon in Bucks View Post
            Yes they did ! Or the 1750's........

It was considered too intrusive ! What would they make of the way we live in 2008 !

Are you aiming to make us all feel worse? :D

Comment

Given that my main branch line didn't bother registering children until 1902, it wouldn't have made much difference to me: )

Newbury has a fantastic census of 1815.
              Asa

Comment

No good to me at all.

Does anyone know why registration was introduced?

Comment

Registration, and then censuses, were introduced to give the government a more accurate idea of the demography of the population, and a basis on which to do forward planning.

It was, really, the very very beginning of a national social conscience if you like - how many poor people were there, where did they live, how much future housing would be neeeded and so on, how fast was the overall population increasing, how many foreigners lived here.

It was also a handy way of working out how many fit and able men there were, who could go to war on the nation's behalf!

And finally - for tax purposes! Very few people paid income tax then, but it was handy to see how many people could be classed as falling into that bracket.

I have a census taken in 1819 - full details and lots of rude comments alongside. It includes BIRTH DATES - oh, joy! and some marriage dates.

OC

Comment

Well, if the earlier censuses were taken, they would have had limited information and like the 1841 without people's relationships or actual birthplaces and accurate ages, may not have been as useful as the actual baptism registers we DO have.

Mind you, the idea of gathering demographic information to inform planning isn't necessarily effective - when I was a toddler my Mum filled in a local questionnaire designed to help plan for education provision. When I started at my brand new school, I had a temporary (still there when I left) classroom, and we all had to go home for dinner as they hadn't allowed for a kitchen! This was a purpose-built school to cater for the local population and they hadn't planned to give us lunch!!!
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                    X