can't find him on any census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't find him on any census

Hi i am looking for a John Liptrot Hatton. He was born 1809 in Liverpool and died in 1886 Margate. He was a musical composer, conductor, pianist and singer. I can find thinks about him on google but can't find him on the census.
    Many thanks in advance.
    Jen

jen

from what you've found on google was he a touring performer or was he associated with certain theatres etc at specific times?
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

okay - on 1851 vensus

HO107; Piece: 1489; Folio: 451; Page: 1;

Theatricals were very vain so his age will probably go down ever census
      Zoe in London

Comment

from what i can see he was away in america between 1848 and 1850 he was in london in 1853 for about 5 years then back to america in 1866 and at Stuttgart in 1875. That is all i have found so far. Nothing with any dates to say he would be away for the census but nothing to say he would be in England either!
        Jen

Comment

Thankyou Zoe. I wonder why i couldn't see that then cause i did a search for 5 years either way. I'm sure i am doing something wrong.
          Jen

Comment

Perfomers in Victorian times were usually called Mr and often known by their initials so it's worth seaching under "Mr J L Hatton" or "Mr John L Hatton"

The Times had clasiified adverts for London theatres where they included the performers names which may give a better idea of his locations

If you can afford it buying some pay per views for ancestry might help as they show up on Passenger Lists every time they go back and forth touring.
            Quite a few were spotted in London and taken to Australia for a season or two as well so he may pop up there

There's a book called by a man called kilgarriff which is an encyclopedia of Music Hall SOngs which may have a bit about him if his music lasted long enough.

It's lso worth searching British Library online catalogue as I found quite a few musical scores written by my 3x and 4x great grandfathers on there

There's a couple of Dictionary of Biography things for the theatre who's names escape me but if he may appear in them.

I'll have a look through my scraps of paper and see if I can find teh names
            Zoe in London

Comment

Thankyou Zoe. My friends mum has been passed down some music that he once wrote. I am hoping that i can find how he is tied into the tree so thought i would try and research him first as i have hardly anything on this tree.
              Jen

Comment

wikipedia mention a daughter called Frances J Hatton who emigrated to canada

I'll see if I can pinpoint her on ancestry
                Zoe in London

Comment

Thankyou. I must of missed that totally when i read it.
                  Jen

Comment

Now you have said about a daughter just done a quick look for a birth of a Frances J Hatton and could possibly be Frances Josephine Hatton born 1840 and the census backs it up on 1841 HO107/12/11/16 Do you agree with me?
                    Jen

Comment

on 1841 census

frances was born 1840 so I think she is Frances josephine Hatton who's birth is showing up in Liverpool

You need to go to the previous page to see JOhn who is at teh bottom there - occupation Musician

HO107; Piece 738; Book: 12; Folio: 11; Page: 17; Line: 3

wife is Emma aged 35 and there's another daughter called Margaret aged 3

Emma and Margaret were born in Middlesex
                      John and Frances weren't
                      Zoe in London

Comment

snap
                        Zoe in London

Comment

Frances on 1861

although there is a second Frances J Hatton born Liverpool showing up in a different patr of Chichester

RG9; Piece: 623; Folio: 48; Page: 13

Intriguingly there is an Emma Powsett (sp?) showing as daughter of E Hatton who is born in Buenos Ayres
                          Zoe in London

Comment

Lol and when you look on LDS Margaret was called Marguerita Medora, the father is right as well. Can you do a search on just the fathers name on LDS or not?
                            Jen

Comment

and on 1851 census - transcribed as Calton

HO107; Piece: 1509; Folio: 50; Page: 31

I'll keep looking for Emma later on - I think Frances moved 1869 according to Wikipedia
                              Zoe in London

Comment

you can search for each batch I think - not usre if you can do the whole IGI with no first name and teh father
                                Zoe in London

Comment

Thanks will go and try batch numbers.
                                  Jen

Comment

could be death of Marguerita

Margueritta M Hatton
                                    Birth 1839 Age 80
                                    1919 Mar
                                    Croydon 2a 480
                                    Zoe in London

Comment

Nothing on the batch number. So it looks like she stayed single and most possibly in England.
                                      Jen

Comment

Marguerita and a Sophia Pousett on 1881

RG11; Piece: 13; Folio: 20; Page: 33

Sophia could be same as Emma from 1861 and they appear to be getting flexible with their ages as they're both 4 years too young
                                        Zoe in London

Comment

Working...
                                        X