One Step Forward....Two Steps Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Step Forward....Two Steps Back

I've mentioned this query before I think, but my grandfather, John Passe, died in Jan 1949 at 49 Knight Street, Liverpool. I remember being taken there as a child to se 'Nana Jakes' - fine, no questions asked - then!

Now, I find that in the 1949 Electoral Roll, (kindly forwarded by the Central Library in Liverpool) there was a 'Janet Passe' of voting age livng there. Could this be my 'Nana Jakes'? I can't see any evidence of a re-marriage in the BMD for Lancashire - in fact I don't think they've got that far yet.

This was a bolt from the blue this morning and I have no idea how to trace the elusive 'Janet'.

Talk about confused.com!!

Gwyn
    Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

Don't understand the puzzle - were you expecting your grandmother to have a different name?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I think Gywn means.. that this "Nana Jakes" might not be a nana... if you know what I mean.

Like we teach our children that elders or friends of the family are aunty so and so, or some such... without having to use their full names without the Mr. or Mrs. or Miss..

thats how it reads to me, anyway..
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

That's right, Julie - sorry for not making myself clear. I'm not sure whether she was a 'nana' as in 'auntie' or 'uncle', but it seems too close a term for a friend as such. I can't get round the 'Jakes' bit. Perhaps she was just a 'friend' of my grandfather's, but then we have this 'Janet' person with the Passe suraname - oh, I don't have a clue!!

i think it's one of those family mysteries doomed never to be solved.

Gwyn

Comment

wonder who reg his death? if it was Janet - maybe it gives her relationship to Dec'd
          Jess

Comment

I don't see why it can't be solved. Just keep looking in the electoral rolls till she disappears and then find a marriage or death.

Comment

Maybe Jakes wasn't a surname, but a petname for Janet?

Comment

My dad registered his death - no mention of anyone else unfortunately.

Nell, I got the info from Central Library in Liverpool - is there anywhere else I could look for Electoral Roll info from that time?

Secondly, thank you for the thought that 'Jakes' may have been a pet name - never thought of that!

Sorry if I appear thick - the other relatives on this side haven't thrown up a problem like this before.

Gwyn

Comment

What was her maiden name?

OC

Comment

OC - don't know - she's landed on me this morning out of the ether- never heard of her before!!

Comment

Gwyn,

just a thought...could Jakes be Jaques?

I'm not sure if you've got a document with the Jakes spelling, or if you're just assuming that's how its spelled.
                      ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Louise - don't know how 'Jakes' was spelled - it could well be 'Jacques' - I don't honestly know if I can go forward with this. It's been sitting there, leering at me since this morning when I had the e-mail, but I can't think of any way to go as my information is so sparse.

Thanks

Gwyn

Comment

If you weren't expecting a woman called Janet to be there then I take it you know for certain your grandmother had a different name?

Are these two women (Nana Jakes and Janet) even the same person?

Janet could have been any age (unless the electoral roll tells you her age) so she could be a lodger, a distant relative boarding nearby to a job, a married in of a family male working away....
                          Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Oscar

Electoral rolls are kept at major libraries, local history centres and there's an extensive collection at the British Library in London.

Let's just start with what you know. You have found a person called Janet with the same surname as your grandfather, living in the house where he died at the same time - 1949. You don't yet know if she is any connection to "Nana Jakes/Jaques".

All you know is that Janet is at least 21 and on the voter's register, which implies she was living there for a while.

She could be a niece or a cousin - married or unmarried. Since you don't know if her surname is her maiden or married name, its going to be difficult to look for her in marriage/death indexes.

Your grandfather's death might be a significant point though - IF Janet continued to live there she probably was Nana (unless you remember visiting any other females there). Or she may have left after his death?

Do you remember roughly when Nana Jaques/Jakes died, or when you stopped visiting her?

Comment

So how old was your grandfather when he died? Have you got him on 1901 census?

Comment

I agree with what you've said Nell - my grandfather was 61 when he died - I have his death cert and the address is 39 Knight Street. My last memory of 'Nana Jakes' was when I was about 12 (1959) but I have no idea when she may have died - things were kept very close to home in my family - I didn't even know I had a sister who died before me until a neighbour let it out!

Zoe - the only 'real' grandma I had was one I didn't know. She died before I was born, but I always knew this Nana Jakes as my 'nana'. My parents called her 'Poppy', but that doesn't help at all!! I agree that she could be some distant relative, but I wish I could sort out who!!

Honestly, thank you all, but I fear that this is too deep a mystery as I have no other clues to go on.

Gwyn
                                Last edited by Oscar; 05-01-08, 17:05. Reason: mis-spelling

Comment

well you know her name and I can't imagine Passe is particularly common

You could always trawl the deaths to see if she crops up - if you remember her being Nana aged then you shouldn't have to go for long
                                  Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Right Zoe,

I've had a half-hearted go, but...
                                    Here we go then!!

Thank you

Gwyn

Comment

So Poppy/Nana Jakes/Janet Passe wasn't your father's mother, then?

Comment

No - she was Annie Julia Burley - I have the death certificate.

Gwyn

Comment

Working...
                                        X