Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnsley Public Hall tragedy 1908

For info, not seeking help.

Our local paper has an item about a tragedy on 11 Jan 1908, where 16 children were killed on a crowded staircase at the Public Hall whilst waiting to see a picture show.

They are seeking relatives of the children involved, and are also trying to trace descendants of a Mr Burkinshaw & Mrs Beardsall who helped with the rescue.

The names of the children are given, and I was sad to see many of them were only five or six years old. So their names would not be on the 1901 census, and perhaps anyone researching their families may not even know about them.

The article gives a contact phone no. if anyone can help, pm me for it, I don't want to post on an open forum as its a mobile no.
    Last edited by Vicky the Viking; 04-01-08, 19:57. Reason: added date
    Vicky

thought I'd list the childrens names.

Beatrice Cartwright, age 7
    Alice Marshall, 6
    Henry Williams, 6
    John Charles Hibbert, 6
    Florence May Smith, 8
    Mary Lee, 5
    Albert Ward, 5
    John Charles Graham, 5
    Hardy Stott, 4
    Mary Elizabeth Stott, 8
    Ellen Swift, 5
    Edward Pickles, 7
    Annie Johnson, 4
    Winnie Cousins, 7
    Charlotte Whitworth (norton) 7
    William Parkin Goodall, 6
    Vicky

Comment

There was a thread about this on GR about two years ago. I remember looking it up in The Times newspaper......(not really sure why I'm mentioning it...........)

Comment

George Burkinshaw was the caretaker of the hall. All the men of this name in Barnsley in 901 are coal miners. I expect it was a second job.

Comment

Comment

The addresses of the children are given in The Times article:

Comment

Mrs Beardsall doesn't seem to be in The Times article.

Comment

Think they might have got some of the ages wrong, William Parkin Goodall is 1 month old in 1901 same address as the paper gives. Those poor children!

RG13, Piece 4316, Folio 115, Page 30
                Fiona. xx

Comment

Originally posted by fiona c View Post
                  Think they might have got some of the ages wrong, William Parkin Goodall is 1 month old in 1901 same address as the paper gives. Those poor children!

RG13, Piece 4316, Folio 115, Page 30
                  That's right isn't it?

If he was born late Feb 1901 then he would still be 6 in Jan 1908.....

Comment

Yes it is Merry, just ignore me senile at the best of times. lol
                    Fiona. xx

Comment

Merry, Jill & Fiona,
                      thanks for the extra info, I posted the names as listed in today's paper. As well as some of the ages being a bit out, I note some of the names differ too (eg Stott/Scott).

Burkinshaw is a common surname in these parts. I suppose the only way the right family would come forward is if someone remembers their grandfather or other rellie talking about it.

I haven't the energy to start look for other articles at the mo, or the relevant birth & death registrations.

There is to be a memorial service in Barnsley next week to commemorate the event.
                      Vicky

Comment

Working...
                      X