Marriage licence 1772

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage licence 1772

Is there anyway to find out how old the bride was when she married if it was by licence in 1772?

Anne Thompson married John Dawson 18 June 1772, He was born approx 1741

Thanks
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Sometimes the age is recorded as part of the Licence, but there's no guarantee.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

How would I obtain the licence? Would it be held at the local Records Office?

Another researcher searched the marriage records and listed what she found there, it stated by Licence
      Last edited by vikki brace; 04-01-08, 18:17.
      Vikki -

Comment

Some databases have transcriptions of the Licence registers. the trouble is that there were several sorts of Licence - and several places from which to obtain one. I think there was a thread about that within the last few weeks.

Where did they marry?

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The Parish of Great Hale in Lincolnshire
          Vikki -

Comment

I think it would only give her age if she was a minor.

The actual licence is very unlikely to be available, but you might be able to get a copy of the licence application.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Genuki is helpful, but unencouraging:

GENUKI: Lincolnshire Church Records

But unless you ask, you'll never know. Hope yours survives!
              Phoenix - with charred feathers
              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks Kite and Pheonix,

Looks like a trip is in order (took 5 weeks to get a document from them last time)
                Vikki -

Comment

Working...
                X