No announcement yet.

1851 census - what's the relationship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1851 census - what's the relationship?

Due to enumerator's mad scribblings and me losing my glasses overnight I can't make this out

HO107; Piece: 1759; Folio: 503; Page: 14

2nd grouping on the page - Robert Webb aged 64 Farmer

Is the Mary beneath him a sister or a servant or something else?

And are they both married or not?
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

I'd say Mary is a sister (as transcribed), and that they're both unmarried.

The enumerator has used "Mar" for married and "U" for unmarried: they both have U.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I think Mary was his sister and then there is a visitor and 2 servants. All unmarried.

Jackie
      Jackie

Comment

cheers Christine

but - aaaargh - just got him on 1861 census

He's still a farmer despite living on the High STreet

no sign of Mary but he's now down as a widow

RG9; Piece: 1020; Folio: 47; Page: 8

pretty sure it's him as the servant from 1851 who's surname I couldn't make it still appears to be with him

*heads for darkened room*
        Zoe in London

Comment

Well there's this 1858 marriage on CamDex:

Robert WEBB Cambridge 331/CE097/01/50/1
          Jane RICH Cambridge 331/CE097/01/50/2

and there's this 1860 death (not quite the same area as the marriage):

Jane WEBB Cambridge 331/STM/6/101 age 42
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

ooh - what's CamDex?

I'm just getting right into the Cambridge bit of the family as I'm considering using a few lieu days to do a research trip but want to sort out what I can from here first.

I'll be posting several Cambridge related problems this evening I imagine
            Zoe in London

Comment

It's one of the searchable local BMD sites listed on UKBMD - Births, Marriages, Deaths Indexes & Census transcriptions for the UK, On-Line

Online CAMDEX searches information page

It's possible to pick up enough from one record to match a partner in a marriage, for instance.

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post
                but - aaaargh - just got him on 1861 census

He's still a farmer despite living on the High STreet
                That isn't as silly as it sounds. The place in South Yorkshire where I was brought up (1950's) was a largish village with a main road crossroads. There was a farm only a few yards up the side road which survived until the mid-1950's.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                X