Shelemiah = Selina?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shelemiah = Selina?

I have Selina Rollason b abt 1811 marrying John Matthews 25 Jun 1833 at St Laurence, Foleshill.

Looking for her birth through Hugh Wallis I found Shelemiah Rollason b Foleshill 7 Jun 1811, bapt 9 Jun 1812 at the Independent And Some Baptist, Foleshill ...

I can't see any trace of Shelemiah after this ...

What do you think? Could they be the same girl?
    Let's re-arrange the deck-chairs

Sounds reasonable I think you must be doing a lot of research today!

Would you want people calling you Selemiah? or it could be mistranscribed from Selina which an h at the end for the baptism?
    Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Sounds plausible Mark, though you know I am going to say you ought to check the original baptism register to see exactly what it does say!

I have several females in my and husband's tree who abandon their baptismal names. For example, Prudence Elizabeth becomes Elizabeth (Prudence isn't necessarily the best name to be saddled with, is it!)
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Mark, I think it was Foleshill where I found a Shushannah....try saying Susannah with no teeth. It would explain the first part of the name.
        Heather

Comment

(Prudence isn't necessarily the best name to be saddled with, is it!)
          She should worry, my tree includes a Virtue (pregnant when married), Obedience and Placid.

Comment

I've just found a Libra and while searching for her in the census came up with Libra Waddilove and Libra Waterfall ....

Comment

One of my Selina's turned into Salome on the IGI.
              Anne

Comment

Wow! Google is quick isn't it? This thread is already available on there ....

Comment

I'd say it's very possible she's the same person.

It's all dependent on how whoever was writing up the records decided it should be spelt.

My Lettice Bartram turns out to be a Letitia and Rosimus goes to Ross then later becomes Erasmus
                  Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

I have a SANSBURY surname, transcribed in one IGI extracted record as LANSBURY. The original record isn't wonderfully clear, it has to be said.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

My favourite (not) is my 2xGgrandmother Ann T....?

She and her husband were both illiterate, and evidently had no idea how to spell her maiden name, so the registrar had to guess. It's different on every certificate, and I have loads of them.

So far, the variations I've collected are Tickle, Tickles, Teakle, Tittlen, Fittlen, Titlin, Titland, Little and Didley.

It probably depended on whether she or her husband registered the event, because he was Irish and she was from Birmingham.

Comment

When I were a lad, there was a mobile greengrocer (greengrocer with a lorry) who lived close by. When he bought a new lorry, the signwriter asked him how to spell his name. The answer was "Tha knows best".
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

My 3 x Great Grandmother was Samina Taylor, but the baptism entry on IGI has her as Simomina.

I haven't had the original PR entry checked as yet but its definitely her cos I've matched her in a later census with the mother and 2 of the sisters under the same batch code!

Comment

Milly is a popular family name. The vicars recorded it as Amelia or Millicent, as the whim took them.
                            Phoenix - with charred feathers
                            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Mary's mention of a pregnant Virtue reminds me that my gt gt grandmother Honor got married in a register office in 1852 just 3 weeks before her first child's baptism!

Not only that, but I have a Temperance in my Dad's family - quite ironic as many of her descendants were ruined by drink! Oh, and not a relation, but a neighbour of my Gloucestershire lot, was a Comfort and my Mum's Great-Aunt Chat was really a Charity and certianly lived up to her name!
                              ~ with love from Little Nell~
                              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                              X