Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The winner of WDWTYA? 3rd January 2008 is......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The winner of WDWTYA? 3rd January 2008 is......

.........obarean!!

Well done!!

Yay, well done Obarean - you can ask away now!!!!!!!

Comment

thank you

hi everyone, so excited like a child with a box to play with (rather than the toy inside) what do i do now, now i've won how do i start to explore, realy am so excited, never won anything before
      thanks so much
      www.treamer.tribalpages.com
      interested in treamer, trimmer, downing, lake, spruhen/spruhan

Comment

Congratulations on your win!

Just give us some details of where you are stuck with your research ..... and hopefully we might be able to help.
        Elaine

Comment

oh my where do i start, i have hannah papworth born 1807, she was baptised 19/7/1807 at st alphage, greenwich, london. she married james treamer who was born 1804c greenwich, died 3/4/1860 (14 the green, greenwich) i have tried to find the marriage ref for them and also the birth records for both of them without any results

obarean

Comment

As it seems that you already have Hannah's baptism, there will be no other birth record for her as she was born (a long time) before the start of civil registration.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

does this mean i would have to go where the records are held in greenwich to find out more on her?

Comment

sorry kite runner, didn't mean to sound so abrupt, quite new to this as you may have gathered, would the local records of that area have a birth certificate or were these not done until after a certain date when the civil registration was introduced?
                thanks

Comment

Well, if you have her baptism from the IGI, then yes, if you can get a look at the parish register for the church where she was baptised then it might have more information, e.g. her father's occupation and residence. Not sure which record office it would be - anybody know?
                  KiteRunner

Comment

hi
                    i have from the igi individual record that her father was jno (which i take to be john) papworth amd her mother as maria

Comment

Sorry, that was a reply to your previous posting. No, there wouldn't be a birth certificate as such, only her baptism record, but as I said, at least the full baptism record in the parish register should tell you her father's occupation and maybe residence.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

sorry meant to add that the igi record is that of her baptism

Comment

ok so a trip to greenwich is what is needed to find out more there then, that's good another weekend away, hubby doesn't necessarily need to know it's to trace more family tree stuff (does he?)

Comment

Yes, I already realised that (that it was her baptism!). The baptism entries on the IGI are index entries and the actual entry in the parish register usually contains more information than the IGI entry does for the kind of date you are looking at, though of course you might find that there is no extra info there.

I think the record office that has the Greenwich parish registers would be the London Metropolitan Archives but they are closed at the moment, until 21st January.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

would you be able to track any thing on james treamer born 1804. died 3/4/1860 at 14 green deptford. i've not managed to find anything about this poor soul, no baptism, birth, marriage
                              going back to hannah - just a stab in the dark but would i be able to find out if she had any siblings through those records?
                              thanks

Comment

Originally posted by obarean View Post
                                ok so a trip to greenwich is what is needed to find out more there then, that's good another weekend away, hubby doesn't necessarily need to know it's to trace more family tree stuff (does he?)
                                I don't think you will need to go to Greenwich itself, but to the London Metropolitan Archives (closed until 21st Jan as per my last posting)

Anyway, I think we still have a member who offers lookups at the LMA - back in a minute...
                                KiteRunner

Comment

Sorry, I always seem to be replying to your last-but-one posting!

If you look at our Wiki page on London you will see we have a member who offers lookups at the London Metropolitan Archives:

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ookup_Requests

Click on "2. Record Office Lookup Requests" and you should see.
                                  If you send her a PM with the details you have from the IGI on Hannah Papworth's baptism then she should be able to look it up for you when the LMA reopens and she will be able to tell you any other info that is given, e.g. father's occupation, residence, maybe Hannah's date of birth. (Assuming that the St. Alphage records are at LMA - I haven't managed to check yet?)

As for brothers and sisters, if they were baptised at the same church as Hannah then they would most likely come up on the IGI if you do a "parent search" (i.e. you just put in the parents' names) but I can't see any. Looking through the parish register for possible sibling baptisms for a London church would most likely take ages and ages. There is another one on the IGI who looks like a possible sibling, but at a different church:

George Willm. Papworth baptised 8 Aug 1798 Saint Paul, Deptford, Kent. Parents John Papworth and Maria. Again, if you could get a lookup of the parish register entry for this baptism it might give father's occupation. Of course, he could have changed occupation in between even if it is the same person!

Nearly all the Papworths on the IGI seem to come from the Cambridgeshire area so at least there aren't millions of them in London to confuse the issue. I should think it pretty likely that George William is Hannah's brother.

Got to go to bed now but you will find lots of people will have a go at this tomorrow and hopefully we will come up with something about James before the week is out!
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

hi kite runner
                                    thanks so much for all the help you have given me so far, realy do appreciate it, was just thinking that at nearly midnight it would be a good idea to tootle upstairs
                                    very grateful for all the help hope to speak soon
                                    kind wishes
                                    obarean

Comment

I just had a quick look on the IGI for any other siblings of Hannah baptised at St Alphage and there don't appear to be any. So either she was their only child or her siblings were baptised elsewhere

I think it would have to be a trawl of the registers,

I have just been trying to see them on the census without any luck, have you found them in 1851?

I also notice that Hannah didn't die until 1896
                                      Last edited by vikki brace; 04-01-08, 09:35.
                                      Vikki -
                                      Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Its Ok, just found them in 1851

For anyone who is interested - HO107; Piece: 1586; Folio: 351; Page: 34

James Teamer age 45 - North Weald, Essex - Mariner
                                        Hannah Teamer age 42 - Greenwich
                                        George Teamer age 13
                                        William Teamer age 11
                                        Horatio Teamer age 8
                                        Sarah Teamer age 6
                                        James Teamer age 1
                                        Vikki -
                                        Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Working...
                                        X