Lost someone again....help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost someone again....help please!

This is a bit complicated, sorry! Fanny RIGBY born 1829 in Walton-le-Dale, Lancashire to mother Margaret. Mother then marries Ralph RATCLIFFE in 1833.

I've got Fanny on the 41 census with Ralph, Margaret and 2 half-siblings living in Blackburn

Margaret dies and Ralph remarries to Alice Fish in 1845. Ralph dies in 1848!

1851 census, Fanny is a Lodger in Preston HO107/2265 f337 pg 31, but calling herself Fanny Ratcliffe!

I can't find her on the 61 and there's no marriage or death for either surname that would fit her in between the 2 census.

Anyone?????????

I've had a bit of a look but can't spot anything either, sorry

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine, at least it isn't just me!

Comment

There's a Frances Ratcliffe marrying Joseph Pilkington in 1854 (Q/E Sep 1854 Blackburn Vol 8e Page 373) which could be her.

They're on the 1861 census RG9 Piece 3098 Folio 97 Page 25 with her now called Fanny and born 1831 in Salmesbury which doesn't look too far from Walton le Dale. Do you think that could be her?

Jackie
        Jackie

Comment

Thanks, Jackie, I'll take a look at that one. She wasn't baptised as Frances but she could have adapted her name to suit!

Comment

You might be onto something here, Jackie. 1871, she's now Hannah (??) but with them is Alice Ratcliffe, recorded as Mother.

Right age and birthplace to be Ralph's 2nd wife, Alice, who I haven't been able to find since the 1851, yet couldn't find a death or remarriage for her that fitted either

Thank you! Definitely one to delve into further

Comment

It's always useful when a widowed parent turns up with a family, to help confirm you've got the right lot.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Its definitely re-opened a couple of very stagnant avenues for me and blown a theory I had quite out of the water. Which is always fun!

Alice is OH's 3 x Great Grandmother but unless Ralph was the father of Fanny before he and Margaret married, she isn't actually related at all.

But I hate to have loose ends and as she's part of the family unit overall, I'd like to find out what became of her

Comment

Working...
                X