Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Dudley b 1844

I've lost David after 1871.

He was born 1844 to Thomas and Harriet(t) Dudley in Foleshill. Thomas died in 1857 and Harriett married John Shirley in 1858 and moved to Colne.

In 1861 she and David (along with two other children - John and Rachel)) are living in Colne

1871 they are back in Foleshill (without Rachel, but with William in her place).

In 1875 Harriet married a 3 x widower Elijah Rollason and lived with him in Coventry until he died in 1891. She is lodging with another widow in the 1891 census.

However ....

I've lost track of David after the 1871 census....

Can anybody spot him please?
    Let's re-arrange the deck-chairs

Just been summoned for tea, so am not ignoring anybody!

Comment

Have a look at this one:
      RG11; Piece: 3072; Folio: 29; Page: 16

He's about ten years too young - but only a lodger, so there could easily be a mistake. You'd need to find him on 1861 & 1871 separate from yours to be certain he's not in the running.

He's transcribed as b Coventry, but the image says Foleshill - and he's a silk weaver (promoted from cotton and wool?)

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I see that Thomas and "Harriott" Holloway's marriage is on the IGI:

M042081 3 JUN 1839 Saint Lawrence, Foleshill

But did they turn non-conformist? - There's no obvious sign of David's baptism at St Lawrence's or St Paul's. Tho' there is a "submitted" family there, if you don't stick to the batches. Actually there's a confusing mix of potential siblings. Presumably there's another couple with the same first names - or they lost a lot to early deaths.

Christine
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 03-01-08, 18:55.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Have you tracked his siblings? in case he's visiting them - possibly transcribed (or even enumerated) with a sister's married surname.

Christine

Comment

Hi Christine - sorry - only just got back.

Siblings...

Emma died in Colne
            Rachel (b1848)married Henry Moore and then John Hands Gill - David wasn't with her in 1881,91 or 1901.
            John (b 1851)married in 1872 and I've got him 1m 1881 and 1901
            William (b 1852) (I think) died young - can't find him anywhere though

Comment

Sorry, I can't seem to turn anything up. I guess it's worth going back from time to time to see if he's been radically mistranscribed and someone's spotted it and reported a correction.

Christine

Comment

I think that may well be him in Coventry - no other David Dudley was born in Foleshill according to the BMD on Ancestry ....

Comment

Thanks for looking Christine

Comment

Ooh! There are two Gills from Ireland at the same lodgings. david's sister rachel married a Gill who was (I think) from Ireland ......

He is the next mystery - apart from his marriage I can't find him on the census although Rachel is there with children and listed as Married ....

Comment

What job was he doing in 1861?

OC

Comment

Looks hopeful!

(My parents were married at St Lawrence's... but a bit later than these records :D )

Christine

Comment

In 1861 it says Cotton powerloom weaver. In 1871 he's a wool weaver.

Comment

Cotton powerloom weaver OC .... along with half of Foleshill!

Class: RG9; Piece: 3079; Folio: 68; Page: 4

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Dudley View Post
                              Ooh! There are two Gills from Ireland at the same lodgings. david's sister rachel married a Gill who was (I think) from Ireland ......
                              They don't seem to be in alpha-order or age-order, so they could be in the order of people who kept each other company...

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                                Looks hopeful!

(My parents were married at St Lawrence's... but a bit later than these records :D )

Christine
                                So were mine! 1956 I think from memory! (Just realised I haven't entered their marriage on my tree!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Dudley View Post
                                  So were mine! 1956 I think from memory! (Just realised I haven't entered their marriage on my tree!
                                  easily done!

That was a bit after mine. My parents were married in October 1941 when the church had no roof because of the blitz. While they were having the photos taken at the front, there were people busily removing the altar and other finery from the church back into the hall! My father was the curate at the time.
                                  There's a book about the church and its roof, called "Burnt Roof".

Christine

Comment

I bought that book for my father last year. Small world!

Comment

Then you have photos of my parents' wedding!

Christine

Comment

I'll get him to dig it out next time I'm over there ....

Comment

Working...
                                        X