Buckingham Palace Thank you to Aunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buckingham Palace Thank you to Aunt

Amongst my husbands aunts papers we found a envelope post marked Buckingham Palace and inside is a certificate from Elizabeth R thanking her for taking in strangers during the war.
    What I wondered was how many of these were sent and I assume its a facsimile of her signature not the real thing ????

Val - I found a similar letter sent to my grandmother when I was going through my Dad's stuff. So they may be more common than we think.

If the letter was sent out to everyone who took in evacuees, the signature would almost certainly be a facsimile I would think

Perhaps someone who knows more will come along shortly and educate us both.
    Barbara

Comment

hi Barbara its quite an honour isnt it really.
      I know her husband left her because of it he hated having other people in their home .

Comment

My grandfather died in 1942 - so I don't think my grandmother had quite that problem lol

I'd always known that she took in evacuees, but I was still surprised to find the letter thanking her
        Barbara

Comment

HI

Just a bit of info regarding the amount of 'thankyou letters' follow this link

King George VI

and use Edit, then find on this page, from you top toolbar and enter the word 'letter' read the first few lines of that paragraph where the word letter appears in.
          WendyP

Comment

HI

Is either of your letter anything like the one that appears on this website

Letter of thanks from Queen Mother to Mrs Evelyn Miles for accommodating evacuees during World War II
            WendyP

Comment

Yes Wendy - the one I have looks very much like that

As well as evacuees, Lord Lovatt's army was stationed nearby during the war - my Grandparents lived in East Markham in North Nottinghamshire. I have a feeling they actually camped nearby rather than being taken into the local households though.
              Barbara

Comment

thats the one thanks Wendy.

Comment

My grandmother had evacuees from the East End of London when she was living in Kent. She also had US servicemen billeted with her as I found a letter from one of them enclosing some money he owed her (and he spelt her name wrongly!). But if she ever got a letter from the Queen, she didn't keep it. Knowing my grandfather, he would probably have torn it up!
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

what a shame Nell

Comment

Well, my granny had a tough life in many ways. Her mother died when she was 11, she was in service from the age of 13. Fell in love with a man who was unable to get regular work to marry her for 5 years, and then never had a steady income. Four children, two of whom died before she did. Nursed my grandfather through stomach cancer - he refused to have a home nurse or go into hospital.

But she didn't complain, she lived in a bungalow by herself for several years and then moved to a residential home for the elderly. Despite being the eldest resident, she refused to have breakfast served in bed as she thought that was a "slummocky" way of going on, and she lived to be nearly 97.
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                      X