Historical charges for certificates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historical charges for certificates?

I have hunted through my reference books (including my 'bible' Ancestral Trails), the net and Wiki but can't find the answer :(

When Births and Deaths were registered and certificates issued, from 1837, was there a charge?
    The same with Marriages from 1837 and before?

If anyone knows a website or book that does have the info can they point me in the right direction.

Many thanks for any help.
    Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

I believe there was, couldnt say what though- this being the reason cited that some didn't bother to reg births - they couldnt afford it
    Jess

Comment

I'm sure there was no charge for registering any of the events, but there was a charge for the actual certificate in some cases. I've seen some info but will have to search for it and get back to you...
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

The certificate of registry of birth cost only threepence - not the same as a birth certificate but just a little bit of paper with the name and date on. It looks as if a birth certificate copy needed for school cost one shilling, looking at the 1874 Act on Guy's site:

1836Act

This link (below) will take you to the index of Acts which Guy has on that site, and if you look through enough of them hopefully you will find out how much each certificate cost!

actind
        KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks Jess and Kite.

Jess that makes sense....And probaby the reason why pre 1900 originals are non existant in my family :D

Kite if you do come across where you saw the info I would love to know, thanks.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Think we were posting at the same time, Chris - see my second posting above.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Kite
              I am off to have a look now.
              Thank you

Comment

Working...
              X