Anyone know about guns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know about guns?

Could anyone tell me what sort of gun this is please - I'm useless at guns.
    Also would soldiers from WW1 have been able to keep their guns when the war was finished?

Looks like a Shotgun to me.
    Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Hi Trish, well he has a retriever dog and a hare in his hand, so likely a shot gun, but its unusual to carry it like that, a gamekeeper/sportsman would normally have it broken over his arm if he wasnt actually using it and it does seem very long. OH is a member of Vintage Arms Association, so when he gets back Ill show him the pic.

I think soldiers were SUPPOSED to hand in their arms when they demobbed but there were an awful lot of guns floating around after both wars - I guess a few could easily go missing in the paperwork.
      Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 02-01-08, 13:32.

Comment

Thanks Jim, a shotgun is just a shotgun is it? Is that where you get a double barrelled shotgun - looks like 2 bits on it to me

Comment

Thanks Heather, my grandfather was no gamekeeper - more like a poacher:D:D

Comment

my OH says it's a double barrelled shotgun, Trish

Beverley

Comment

Hi, hubby just walked in - and he reckons a double barrelled shotgun - certainly not a military weapon.

Comment

Thanks very much, it looks enormous - bet it gave a good old kick when you pulled the trigger:D

Comment

Hi Trish
                  My OH thinks its a 12 bore double barrelled shotgun

Comment

Oh heck, what's a 12 bore?

Comment

I think that refers to the diameter of the barrels.

I expect someone here will know.
                      Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Thanks again Jim, that'll be the size of the bullets then.

Comment

Just googled, cartridges not bullets. Full of lead bits.

Nobody put one of these things in my care for goodness sake!!!

Comment

Just think what damage you could do your wee mouse with one of those, Trish

Beverley

Comment

The mouse would probably escape - not sure about the house and garden though:D

Comment

looks like a double barrel shotgun used on farms brenda xxx

Comment

And I would say the gun IS broken over his arm....

You should, in theory, be able to trace a gun licence for him. They were pretty hot on this in the countryside (revenue, haha)

OC

Comment

I never thought of that OC, would a poacher have a gun licence do you think?

Comment

OC guns have to be carried that way for safty reason brenda xxx

Comment

Bren

Someone said earlier in the thread that he was carrying the gun unbroken - I don't think he is.

Nope, a poacher wouldn't have a gun licence - and he wouldn't use a shotgun for poaching either! Too big to hide when the gamekeeper catches you, too noisy in use. Poachers used snares and traps, not guns.

I would think this is a legitimately held weapon, with a licence.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X